1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bike: Gsxr1000r (the Gixxer Thread)

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Advikaz, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Bikes off for it's first service tomorrow.

I'm supplying the oil and filter so the service is the grand total of ...... drum roll please.........

£57 :joy:

They're also pulling the forks through for me as my yoke stand is propping up the race bike at the mo.

8F6B6BA8-F999-4293-B7E6-BD0EDF665553.png

#261 Advikaz, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. the making the forks longer (in effect) thing is quite new to me, stood out when the superstock guys were all talking about doing it on the GSXR, then I went to get my 848 set up and he was telling me I needed to get the bike running much higher in the stroke and that it 'wouldn't' make it steer slow, which was my assumption. The view was that actually it just overloads the front tyre, creates to much weight transfer and causes issues for tyre life.

3. Naturally it depends on so many factors mate as you know,

Walking around the paddock though, you will find that a lot of 1000's are running the front as high as they can get away with (even adding fork extenders) although these are now banned in bsb stock 1000.

There's numerous benefits to it.. for me though it's mainly to stabilise the bike. The gsxr is very agile and for me it actually turns too quickly getting to the apex which I find unsettling.

It should also reduce the wheelies and headshakes that are a byproduct.

Less weight on my arms because for me it does feel very 'nosey'.

More ground clearance.

Should hopefully help with the rear end picking up and reduce the abs throwing so much of a wobbly.

Bit less extreme weight distribution meaning (hopefully) I should be able to have a better throttle to tyre connection at the rear on uptake.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I've just got back from Donington and it was the first time out on mine. I dropped the forks through before I went because the bike turns really quickly on the road and as Adam says feels very on it's nose.

I was using the day as a setup day so wasn't pushing as hard as I normally would but the bike felt good right from the off.
    I did about 4 laps of the first session but it was spitting with rain and I was on new slicks so I took the opportunity to go and see Colin for suspension setup.

I could tell just from those laps that the bike was pitching backwards and forwards under braking and acceleration so Colin did his stuff and dialled that out in one visit.

The brake lever was coming back to the bar as well so I adjusted that out to it's furthest setting which got me through the rest of the day. I'm glad I've got the Hel M/C to fit and race fluid because it really needs it.

I didn't have a problem with the ABS at all but that was probably because I couldn't brake as hard as normal because of the other brake issues.

I started the day with the power in B mode then moved it to A mode at lunchtime. I didn't find it snatchy it just sharpened up the response.

I had no problems with noise with the Yoshi end can with the baffle in and the bike felt plenty quick enough at the moment but I will probably end up going full system at some point.

The day was well run with not many flags but one guy in my group did manage to drop his bike at Redgate on leaving the pits!

All in all a perfect day for me and anyone thinking of buying one of these I don't think you would be disappointed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Awesome mate, glad you're enjoying it as well!

#gixxerclub

• Like Like x 2
  6. Well f*** me !!

Got the guys doing the bikes first service to pull the forks through 10mm (more flush) and MY GOD what a difference.

Bike feels so much better. SO SO SOOOO much better. More stable. More sure footed. Holds a line better. Less nervous. Smoother. More fluid. Better under braking. Better rider ergo's.

PLEASE - If you own one of these, pull the forks through. You will thank me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. You’d think it would be more skittish

8. Pulled through mate. I.E less fork out of the top yoke. Or in other works raising the front of the bike.

Lowering the front would make the front more pointy thus more skitish dude

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Still turn in ok bud?

10. Ahhh yes I get ye :upyeah: cheers

11. you think it’s worthwhile on the road also?

12. I was thinking the same. Honestly mate the stock set up feels like it's lowsiding in to turns all the time. It's way too nervous.

This still turns really well but feels much more stable and less bum twitchy doing so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I rode back from the dealer after they did it and seriously couldn't believe the difference.

In my mind there is absolutely no draw back to this. You can call me a dickhead if you don't like it i'm THAT sure you will prefer it!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sounds like the perfect mod. Zero cost, massive improvement. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. There's very few times I have been this shocked by the difference in a bike. It's transformed it for me.

SO SO SO much better.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes, yes. Message received ;)

Did they comment on your blue discs? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Yes...

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Tyres??:joy:

19. Also yes....:joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. The bike turned too quickly on the road for me. It felt like the front was folding in tight turns and I had to pick it up on the gas a few times.
    It's an easy mod and if you don't like it simple to put back to standard. I've dropped mine through half of what was showing above the top yolk and it felt loads better. If I feel the need as I get quicker I will drop them through to flush.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information