1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bike: Gsxr1000r (the Gixxer Thread)

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Advikaz, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Yes. Only one he’s got left as far as I understand

• Like Like x 1
  2. Booked on for Brands Indy this Thursday (evening) to give the bike a shakedown after making the geo changes on its first service.

No warmers, no paddock stands. No stress. No pressure. Just me and the bike. - just an evening ride learning the bike a bit more and working out what further geometry changes would benefit it/me as well as any future mods.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Have you done anything with the brakes yet? My master cylinder, fluid and new brake pads are going on before my next outing.

4. I haven’t yet mate. Bikes still exactly how it was at Donington bar the fork pull through.

Be interested to see the effect this has on the abs

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I didn't have a problem with the ABS, although I'm not as quick as you, but I was taking it easy on the brakes after I cooked them in the first session and I had dropped the forks through so be really interested to see if that makes a difference.

6. In theory it should improve the situation with the abs (we shall see) - haven't you already pulled the forks through on yours ? (in my head i'm hoping that's why you aren't having abs issues haha)

I found it almost impossible to ride 'fast' with the abs in place personally. Clearly it can be done though as seen from the likes of Guintoli who can make it work :cool: His bag of talent is much deeper and fuller than mine though ha ha

I'm just learning to be more progressive with the brakes and less 'racey' on them (the initial 'bang = brakes' seems to set the abs in to a frenzy. Sadly a byproduct of this technique is it cooks your brakes as you're on them for longer

#306 Advikaz, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  7. Yes I'd dropped the forks through before I went. I was hitting the brakes really hard on the first session out and didn't feel the ABS at all but did cook the brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is promising to hear!

9. I've not looked at data for ABS since I've always had it removed but you might find that it helps if the rear wheel is making better contact with the floor in the braking zone. Letting off a bit of rear rebound will help it to stay on the floor when the bike dives on the brakes. Dropping the forks will have a similar helpful affect.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Unfortunately whether or not you are correct on the matter is totally overshadowed by your terrible choice in facial hair.

Comment void, admin please remove.

:laughing:

11. I had great tyre wear after Colin had done the setup after the first session. This is after the second session. Near perfect.
    Tyre wear.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  12. That looks pretty clean :upyeah:

13. I was pretty pleased with it considering it's standard suspension. It looked the same at the end of the day as well although I didn't do many laps through the day.

• Like Like x 1

14. It’s impressive stuff for standard kit isn’t it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 200hp engine in a relatively short wheelbase needs a bit of taming.

By raising the front, the bike will be less willing to turn in.
    I have been told that by pulling the rear axle backwards therefore increase the wheelbase, the bike will be more stable coming out of turns/less prone to wheelies, but still turn in nicely. (iirc by extending w.b. the rake/trail will be nearly the same as prior raising the front)

My R1 felt much more stable with the forks flush and the rear axle pulled back as much as the chain allowed after the smaller sprockets mod. (-1 front -1 rear)

16. Yep.

Exactly the same with the gixxer and many other 1000’s dude. Not sure why they’re sent out the factory like this, it just feels wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I think the reason they are set up like they are is to help average Joe Public.

The average road rider isn't pulling on the anchors anywhere as hard and they are not trailbraking into the apex like a racer would so they are not diving the front forks anywhere near as much which you need to do to help it to turn. To help with this the factories have the bikes quite front heavy so they turn in more readily without needing to compress the front so much. The instability caused by this is not such a problem because they are not going so hard as a racer.

A racer can benefit from the stability of dropping the forks and extending the wheelbase on the swingarm and they can still turn the bike because they are braking as hard as possible and trailbraking into the apex so the bike will dive enough to still turn well through the corner. Joe Public would just feel like the bike does not turn well.

Like @alexko mentions, a halfway house is just to extend the swingarm / wheel base since this leaves the rake more vertical for quick turn in even if you are not super hard on the brakes right into the apex.

#317 Monners, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. You can't comment on manly facial hair with your boyband fluff and dyed hair style.

• Love You Love You x 1
  19. That is simply a great, clear and logical explanation. Nice one Monners. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  20. AMA also raise the rear tho, so the hole COG was higher as well as swingarm pivot and far as poss back rear wheel.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information