1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bike Owner (ducati Monster 600)

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Laura Wedgewood, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Just bought my first big bike! Struggling to get it started

7EEAF58F-C413-43E8-BBE7-F27D177C585D.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Cool pic Laura - full choke, don't touch throttle, open a little once it catches, or just let idle if idle is fast enough already - choke off asap (normal procedure if all ok).

3. Sometimes it will sound like it’s going to idle but others it just makes a buzz. Is the choke engaged forwards or back??

4. the handlebar one? - fully back but you might need to experiment if settings altered from std:-

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/600ss-choke-operation.23534/

if it's working properly you should feel the springs helping you "close" it whereas opening will take some effort, sometimes very stiff and need attention/lubrication.

5. Hello and welcome to the forum

7. Hi Laura and welcome to our mad house

Full choke prime fuel pump and press starter NO throttle otherwise you will flood the plugs and then they will need drying out

8. I can’t hear the fuel pump priming?

9. as it's been altered slightly, need to confirm with a picture of the other side of bike, but almost certainly hasn't got an electric fuel pump.
    Have you had it running recently/was it running ok? has it suddenly become difficult to start?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I’ve just got it and not had it running yet. Will get more pics when I’m back home in 15.

11. is there a way to manually prime fuel pump?

QUOTE="Chris, post: 1751559, member: 26"]as it's been altered slightly, need to confirm with a picture of the other side of bike, but almost certainly hasn't got an electric fuel pump.

Have you had it running recently/was it running ok? has it suddenly become difficult to start?[/QUOTE]

12. Flat battery or stuck starter would be my guess from that noise.
    And welcome.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Sometimes it cranks. I’ve charged the battery and it goes to fully charged after a few minutes but cranks better once just reconnected. You think battery still?

14. Battery or cables/connections or solenoid or starter. Battery most likely as Bradders said.

If you have just got the bike did you buy it privately or was it from a shop ?
    If from a shop take it back & get them to sort it.

15. Hopefully it's only a flat battery and despite it going to fully charged quite quicly, it would benefit from a proper overnight charge unless it's on it's last legs and need replacing.
    If you still have the standard starter leads then it will definitely crank and start better by replacing these with aftermarket thicker cables.

16. Hello :upyeah: and welcome, i would go with the battery, they can be fickle things and well worth the beefier cables.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Looks like you have a few things drawing off the battery there too potentially. You could try power straight to the starter and see if it moves to make sure it’s not that.

18. New battery got it started. I’ve took it off now for a full charge. Thanks for your help

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information