1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 New Brembo Brakes

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Boukekoppejan, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Hi all!

I’am not very happy with my current brake m4 brembo monoblock calipers because of the lack of stopping power. I have already changed the brake hose to a metal hose. The brake pads are almost as new. So i’am looking for different calipers (if that resolve the stopping power offcourse) and i found these calipers:
    https://www.hsmotoracing.com/race-p...brake-caliper-cnc-p4-30-34-100-mm-kit-lr.html

Does the calipers with the right pads improve the stopping power or Will it be useless?

Thanks for your opinion!

2. I can't really help you with any information on the calipers in the link...

However, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to the standard 1198 brakes having no stopping power! The standard (front) brakes on my 1198 are nothing short of excellent, lots of feedback and mega stopping power too.

The rear brake is nothing to write home about but that isn't unique to just the 1198, this applies to most Ducati's.

You mention that you have changed the brake lines, are you sure you don't have any air in the system. I seem to recall other owners struggling with getting rid of all the air from the system (air getting trapped in the caliper link pipe which passes over the rear of the front mudguard iirc).

I'm sure some others will come along and offer some more accurate/technical advice soon but it's surely worth working with what you have before spending money on replacement calipers :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. My 1198 brakes are amazing I changed the pads to brembo sc race pads and changed the brake fluid couldn't ask for better, as @Ben Mallinson says there must be something wrong with your current set up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply, everything is checked but cant find any leaks or air in the hoses. And the pads are fine almost as new.

5. I've never heard anyone criticise the 1098 brakes. o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. What pads and what brake fluid ? Just read today that fully synthetic brake fluid can make the lever feel spongy. I also ask about the pad manufacturer as opinion is divided on here. Some swear by Brembo, some by EBC and some by pads I’ve never tried. My personal preference is for Brembo SC pads which I use in my 1098R. These are a grade more aggressive than the standard road pads but a grade less aggressive than the full race pads which IMO, only suit the track as you need to keep the pad hot. Andy

7. are you on the std master cylinder?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information