1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chain And Sprockets...

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by LOUDpipes, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Apologies...I'm sure this subject has been done to death...but I'm a recent convert to the V-twin/dry clutch brigade and I need some advice. On all my bikes I've always stuck to the standard gearing...but riding this Ducati ('92 900SS) in traffic is a bit of a pain.

At the moment, the bike is running standard gearing (15/37)

I'd like to make it a bit easier to live with, so will switching to a 15/39 set-up help?

If I go this way, will I need a 98 link chain? Oh...and is the chain a 520?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hey, 15/39 is a good choice, it's the way to go...... Use the same length chain as for std gearing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Recently fitted a 39 tooth rear last year after 24 years of ownership. Cannot believe the difference it made. Why why why did I not do it years ago. Have to say that this forum is a great help in such matters

4. Ducati struggled to get these carb bikes through noise and emissions regs, so they are set more for that than for optimal running and performance.
    I got my SS a lot smoother by opening the airbox and re jetting with a jet kit to suit.
    I also fitted up rated coils which also helped.
    Take a look at the Ducatisuite website.
    It is aimed at Monsters largely but Is still relevant.
    @Arquebus on here knows a lot on this subject, although his SS was a 750, so slightly different.

5. In answer to your question, 15/39 Is a great setup. Gives a bit more acceleration and round town a bit easier to live with. In my experience these bikes don't like town driving much though, they come alive on the back roads. I'm currently running a 15/39 gearing setup, previously I had a 14/37, which is about the equivalent of 15/40. Just felt that was a little too short, but I've got a good few mods on the engine so it was going through the gears a little too quick with that gearing. I'd recommend 15/39

6. You also get an effectively closer ratio gearbox too, lots of nice benefits.

7. Dunno about your bike specifically but did something similar on my Monster a while back. Much more fun!

8. Thanks for all the replies...much appreciated.

So it seems like a good idea to go for the 15/39 set up...I will give it a go.

The standard chain length is 96 links? So this will be ok with the larger rear sprocket? I would have thought I would need more links? Also can you tell me if these bikes run a 520 chain?

I've fitted the updated coils which did make a difference. The bike was running an open air box with K&N when I got it. The previous owner thought it had a Baines conversion on the motor, it has an extra oil cooler fitted up high and did have the cored original cans fitted, which is another Baines trademark...but it has high level Termi's fitted now...

9. Yes it's a 520 pitch. I honestly can't remember the chain length.

10. Thanks for that...Traffic is a bit unavoidable living around here, so hopefully these new sprockets will help a little.

If anybody can help me on the chain length...96 or 98 links, that would be great, I’d like to get it ordered tomorrow...Cheers...

11. Use the link I posted above, gives you all the required info.

12. As said previously, std length chain will be perfect length.

13. NZDave...thanks for the link...I did try to use the gearing site, but the number of chain links didn't change when I entered different figures. I don't know if it's the fact I'm using an IPad or I'm not using it correctly...probably the latter!

Pauldonjuan...thanks :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. 15/39 and yes 520. When you order the chain you can specify longer and then use a chain tool to remove the links you don't need. :)

15. Pauldonjuan says that a standard 96 link chain will fit, other say it's 98...I've got the sprockets already...nice shiny Renthals...so I'm going to do a test fit using the old chain, which i know is 96 links, then order the new chain based on what I find, then I don't have to mess about removing links. I won't be doing this for a while as work and Christmas are getting in the way!
    I'll let you know how I get on...Thanks guys :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've finally got around to fitting the new sprockets. The old 96 link chain does fit with the new 15/39 sprockets, but I'm a bit worried that a new 96 link will be a fair bit 'tighter' than the old chain that's on at the moment. The old chain looks to be in OK nick, so hopefully it hasn't stretched too much.

900ss-sprocket.JPG

I adjusted the old chain roughly and took a shot of the position of the chain adjusters...'notch 4'.

When it's got a brand new 96 link new chain fitted do you think it could be too near 'notch 1' for comfort?

I presume having the rear wheel in this position doesn't make a great deal of difference to the handling...or is it better to have it set further back?

What do you think...am I just better going for a longer chain?

Thanks... :)

17. Imo you are better having the chain nearer the front, as itll stretch so you will have max adjustment. Does a few mm make that much difference to handling?

18. What is it they say. Short wheelbase tight turn in handling, twitchy bike. 3 links is a lot to ask from a standard chain length. Just saying.

19. Looks perfect to me.....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information