1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chain Fitted...not Impressed

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PeteW, May 3, 2015.

1. Some advice please....had new chain and sprockets fitted to my bike last week, at a certain dealer. Afterwards I rode onwards to work and then home - a 30 mile round trip. I assumed the job had been done properly but I was just getting ready to go out again this afternoon and saw this:

Half of the spring used to keep the plates spaced correctly during fitting is still on the chain, except it's sticking out. The O-ring on the adjacent link (not the joining link) is missing, likes it's been caught and flicked off by the wire. The wire has also scored the side of my alternator cover slightly, where it gets v.close to the front sprocket. Jesus, this is why I prefer to do my own servicing. Only this time I thought I'd leave it to the, er, experts.

I don't want the chain left with a missing O-ring, and I don't want a second link fitted to get a new one on. Can I expect a new chain from the dealer?

Infuriated of Yorkshire.

remains of wire spacer on chain.jpg

2. Take it back to the dealer with the picture. They'll have to put on a new chain if any of the links are damaged other than the rivet link.

To me that bit of wire isn't from the chain, strange.

Jamie

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Always give the garage chance to fix their mistakes. If they get stroppy in the slightest call them all the arse holes under the sun and never go back.

4. Thanks, I will. It's not in my nature to go bananas with them, though I feel like it right now. It's disappointing as I thought the service I got was otherwise pretty good, and the mechanic seemed to have his wits about him.

Jamie, the wire is half of one of the 'w' springs that comes with a new chain. Stops the plates being squeezed together too tightly. They should be pulled off after rivetting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Give the mechanic the benefit of doubt as it may be just a faulty chain and not the way it was installed. Either way the mechanic should rectify the problem.

6. 100% the mechanic's fault. Extremely shoddy and poor execution of a very basic and simple task. If they cannot do a chain properly and actually are stupid enough to give it back to you like that, what else might they have done?
    I agree that it is not necessary to get stroppy with them however I would insist on a new chain plus compensation for the scratched engine case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I wouldn't be riding it with that sticking out, it's going to catch on something which won't end well...

8. Has the mechanic used the wire to hold the links togehter whilst the chain has been pulled through?
    Very strange.

Be polite and ask them to collect the bike!
    Once the work has been repaired, unleash your wrath :)

9. Very strange - looking at the photo, none of those links looks like a join, although I'm used to DID ones where the join is obvious (and no w-shaped pieces of wire involved if you use the right tool).

It's critical to get this checked because very bad things can happen if a link should break.

10. The link is the one near the centre of the photo. It's not obvious as it's a Renthal solid pin, so it's been staked like the rest. The wire is half of one of the w things in this pic: image.jpg

11. Yeh watch your flared trousers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Is that really a new chain?

It looks pretty dirty and very dry to me.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ring them tomorrow,give em a chance to rectify THEIR mistake.Anyone can drop the ball,its what they do next that matters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Hi, thanks for the pic, fitted so many chains over the years but never seen the 'w' you mentioned. different, but I can see the logic for easy fitting without over clamping.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. You are covered by your statutory rights as a consumer. The dealer should replace the chain as they have failed to install it correctly and also any damaged caused from incorrect installation.

16. How did you get on Pete?

17. Thanks for the comments. I called in at the weekend with some photos. The mechanic who did the work was extremely remorseful and apologetic. He couldn't believe he'd left the spacing spring on. They're willing to fit a new chain, which should be done this friday. He said he'd he'd take it out of his pay, which seemed a bit unfair. We all make mistakes. I'm not too arsed about the scoring on the alt.cover. The genuine apology and a new chain was/will be enough.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Will you use them again?

19. Never seen that w clip thingy....thats a new one on me....

20. I probably would, yes. Assuming the replacement goes ok, eh readers? The coffee's much better than at the alternative venue, for starters.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information