1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Chain Time .......

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by HootOwl, Aug 15, 2020.

1. I was bored today so thought I would swap the drive chain on the Multi. A bit of bad practice cos I didn't swap the sprockets, but its not a big issue, if this one fecks up - I can change em all again easily enough.

The old one was actually not too bad, the side showing in the image is the rear and dirty side, but it is OK and likely the original 12K plus miles chain. That, and the fact I didnt have sprockets to hand meant I left the old sprocks on there

I had a couple of new DID VX gold 530 chains in my garage, so I put one of those on ( the other can go on if I end up swapping sprockets later)... ;)

I would prefer to use RK chain really, but having DID already to hand meant that one of those was shortened and fitted instead.

I managed to get rid of that shitty yellow superglue grease they come bathed in too :(

Dirty:
    [​IMG]
    Cleaner :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. One of these ? Andy

5417E1D0-B308-443F-8157-0BB9DEDEB070.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Probably so yeah, or possibly an XSO (RK) - either is good enough :)

I do have a surplus of DID chains that I acquired for different bikes I owned but never got around to changing though, so need to try and use those up when I can

4. Done mine too really happy with the results IMG_9164.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. @HootOwl What condition was your front sprocket in? I have done 7500 miles and mine is looking a bit dire already :confused:, and was considering a chain and sprocket replacement.

Graham

6. The front sprocket on my Multi wore quite badly very quickly (it was shot by 8k miles). The dealer said I hadn't lubed it enough which was bollocks, I lubed it religiously.

7. religious lubing is instantly "term of the day" for me. :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Honestly, I never checked. I left both sprockets in place and dropped on a new chain as the rear sprocket looked OK, and the chain I took off was neither worn nor did it have tight spots.

It just looked a mess. . I know that is bad practice not to change the whole chain set, as a set but its really just a short term fix.

I already have another new chain I can use, in my stash and will change the lot once anything shows any wear

9. I see Regina have brought out a chain that requires no lubing, I believe it's limited to a £100 optional extra on some BM's until next year I think. Guessing it won't be cheap.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information