1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 New Chain Time

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mark_h, Sep 25, 2021.

1. I am currently running 15/40 with a standard Regina chain.
    I want to go 15/42 and looking for the best value set-up. Want a gold chain for a bit of bling and apart from that just want it to last. Anyone found any recent bargain options?

2. Try the search function, there are a few recent threads to have a look at. Sprockets for some reason, seem to be in short supply at the moment. Andy

3. Not sure I’d want to put a bargain chain on a 160bhp bike, so I’d recommend the DID gold chain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bike torque seem helpful and knowledgeable in recent phone conversations with them, but as Andy says non standard rear sprockets appear to be rarer than hens teeth at the moment,

5. Recently bought the following for my 1260 MTS:

DID 114 link ZVM Gold chain
    JT Sprocket carrier
    JT 40T rear sprocket
    14T ESJOT front sprocket

Fitting these next week. The 14T front sprocket is one tooth down from standard, a little more ratio-wise than a 42T rear which is what I wanted but they don't yet make a carrier version, hopefully in the future. Renthal do a carrier 41T though or there the option of a 525 conversion which broadens the choice. ESJOT do a 42T rear but changing isn't as easy as a carrier sprocket and near £100 as opposed to £40ish once you have the carrier (mine was new unused off of eBay).

There are varying opinions on the DID Gold chains on here. Better than the OEM one without a doubt though.

The 1200 certainly has a shorter swingarm and chain though you might need to add a couple of links if going for a bigger rear sprocket. Not sure if sprockets are 15/40 as standard on that or different.

#5 Bumpkin, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  6. I put a 14/41 set on and it is almost too low geared but it will be brilliant on the rough roads we have planned for next year. Too far for the road tho...

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. I use AFAM chains and sprockets on my 1200, not sure they are a bargin but I've never been disappointed over the years.

I have AFAM/JT carrier for 525 conversion. Then you can get 15/40 or 42 sprockets and 108 or 110 link chain. I get mine from BikeTorque Racing, they didn't have the 42 rear sprocket in stock but will in around 6 weeks now I've placed my order.
    Cost not including carrier: £160.

8. Intetested to hear which front sprocket you're using on the 525 conversion. Assuming that the offset between inner face of the front sprocket and that of the boss will need to be correct for proper chain alignment. I guess measuring the original and then finding a 525 match, with the right splines too, is what's required? It's finding that match that's the difficult part...

9. I don’t have any experience with purchasing a sprocket set for the Multi but went through a website called Sprocket Center that offers turnkey conversion kits. I’ve used them for a 520 conversion on my Diavel and will likely do the same for the Multi once I have put some decent mikes on the existing set up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Hmm, I may have missed something, but I've been running this setup since 2016 and this is my 3rd chain. In that time it's been to 3 well reputed workshops and alignment problems have never been mentioned.

The exact parts I use are:
    JT Carrier: JTA760B
    Rear sprocket (for carrier): 50803-XX - replace XX for the teeth number. (40 normally)
    Front (525 for Diavel): 52613-15 ( I also used JTF741.15 one year)
    Chain: A525XHR3-G-YYY - replace YYY with 108 (standard) or 110 (for 42 sprocket)

@Firstmulti - yes I've looked there, probably to build my part list, unfortunately their international shipping is almost more than the cost of the parts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thanks for the insight. That's extremely useful.

Maybe my concern about offset is unjustified, a millimetre across a long chain run is probably insignificant. From the two JT pages below you can see the sprocket that you recommend the offset is 16.5mm, for the JT sprocket for the 1260 it's 18.7mm. Having said that; for the latter it appears to be measured to the boss rather than the outer sprocket face, as on former. Also 525 chain, and sprockets, are narrower than 530 by a tad over 1.5mm. Looks like you're so close on offset as makes no difference anyway.

I also have just noticed that the JT website seems to have a code for the splines, Z-14 in the cases above, which is very useful.

The AFAM items you mention are listed on this document, another useful takeaway from your reply :upyeah:

Looks like JT do a 42T rear to fit the carrier too. Fitment for the V4 Streetfighter, availability is in question though. Also couldn't find the AFAM 42T (50803K-42) one anywhere. Not to worry as not a concern this time around as I've just purchased the 14/40 530 carrier set to try out.

#11 Bumpkin, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Certainly not a bargain option but this was my reply a couple of weeks ago, to a similar question.

"I changed the chain and sprockets yesterday, my 1260S now has 41k miles, so obviously this isn't the first time I've changed them, as previously I have gone for AFAM 15T front and Esjot 42T steel rear sprocket (direct replacement), however I have not been happy with the durability of the last DID ZVM-X chain, lasting less than 12k miles so this time I've gone for an AFAM 114L chain, getting the adjustment correct with the new chain was much easier than with the DID.

The DID I removed had severe play in every link, it had been worked hard with both solo and pillion riding but was always adjusted and maintained correctly, that said I would have expected better mileage from it, time will tell with the AFAM.
    I work on the principle of, worn sprockets wear chains, worn chains wear sprockets, so always change as a set.

AFAM sprocket and Chain from Bike Torque Racing £153.65
    Esjot rear sprocket from Brooks Barn £91.36"

13. I dropped 1 tooth on the front a long time ago, provided a small improvement at slow speed without having to use a longer chain. I recently bought one of these, http://global.rk-japan.co.jp/products/motorcycle-chains/series/zxw/, and am very pleased so far. Andy

14. Does anybody ever measure the change in radius going from the stock front sprocket to one with 1 tooth less? I did go down 1 tooth with all the Aprilia’s I have owned without any issue but I do not have a clear picture how tight the clearance is around the front sprocket on my 1200DVT.

15. Mate, don't over think it. I've run -1 tooth on the front sprocket almost from day 1 and I'm up over 40,000 miles with no abnormal chain wear. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. What he said. I have adjusted both front or rear sprockets by 1 tooth on various Ducatis over the years and not once has it caused any problems.

17. What’s the reasoning going from the standard 530 chain to the 525?

18. A wider choice of sprockets available. Not sure the smaller rotating mass makes a noticeable difference nor do I know if a 530 lasts longer. My guess is, Ducati specified a 530 given the potential for the more rigorous off road experience that many Multistrada riders don’t do. Andy

19. It allows you to have a more rapid wear pattern on chain and sprockets without going through the bother of any advantages.
    160 HP road bikes always use 530

20. My 1299 has done under 3k, and I'd like to experiment with 2 teeth extra on the rear sprocket, with the least amount of new parts. Can it be done with a standard length chain?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information