1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 New Drivetrain, What Have I Done Wrong? (squeaking Sound)

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Patrik, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Hi!
    I've just put a new drivetrain on my panigale 899, when aligning and adjusting the chain I used a caliper to measure the distance between the swingarm and the axle blocktensioner. I got it "ok" on both sides and then also checked that the chain was in spec when on the side stand (got it to 49mm) measuring from the swingarm to the middle of the chain.

Went for a short ride (aprox 2-3km) and when I got home and put it on the paddock-stand and noticed that when I reel the wheel I get a squeaking sound. (see video)

I guess that I got something squeezed or aligned wrong? When I removed the axle nut it seems like it dissapeared.

Anybody that have had the same problem? any pointers? I'll remeasure and put everything back tonight again.

#1 Patrik, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. Did you leave any wheel/sprocket spacers out?

3. You'll know if you have left a spacer out as there will be a lot more thread showing on the axle nut side than normal. Very easy done and it'll squeeze the swing arm in when you tighten it up. If you have done that check your bearings are still free as it can push them in against the internal spacer tube and stop them rotating. That squeaking sounds like something on the disc to me, I get it now and again when a blob of rubber goes up into the calliper. Give your disc a clean with a bit of wet and dry and some brake cleaner and see if it stops it.

4. I don't think so but I need to check again.

5. Ok, I'll check that tonight, but if it was was the calliper would the sound really dissapear when I remove the axle nut? I'll chek that also tonight

6. Bike chain should be loose before a person sits on bike, then adjust it to the specific distance required. You have the bike in the video up off the floor & the chain looks tight without any slack.

Loosen off the rear axle, move it way back by half an inch at least. Start again'

7. Ok! did some small checks tonight and I think it may be solved but some more questions.
    I gave the chain some more slack and tried to measure it when sitting on the bike and I think I got in spec.

First thing, I didn't use a torque wrench could it be that I had to much? I'm going to buy one or borrow one from my neighbour on saturday.

Second thing, I removed the wheel and could see anything odd.
    The only thing that I noticed was that if I remove the HUB(?) from the wheel and put the axle in the wheel it rotates nicely but if I do the same with the hub on it rotates but not as nice as if i only had the wheel. Is that normal?

8. Never tried to rotate the wheel without the sprocket carrier so can't comment on that Patrik. Torque wrench is a good idea for sure. 180nm by the book but that is FT. I run at 140nm on the race bike as I am changing wheels every five minutes it seems. Never had an issue at that but you've no reason to run any lower than 180 if you are only taking the wheels out once in a while.

If you need anything else, photos of what it should look like etc then let me know. I will always pop in the garage with a camera and do it. Have a good weekend and hope it's all sorted.

9. Thanks a lot mate!
    Did some work on the bike today and think that I have everything in order now.
    Regarding the rotation of the sprocketcarrier I think it had more resistence just because of the bearings.

Did a 10km run tonight and everything seemed fine.

I did put some more slack on the chain, If I have the bike on sidestand then i can push the chain to touch the exhaust but not if I'm sitting on it.

10. Think this is fairly common from memory.

11. Went for a ride today again (about 10-12km) got home and noticed the sound again... Saw that I had forgoten to tighten the chainadjustskrew (could it be that?) loosen the axlenut and it dissapeared...

Could it be that I forgoten to tighten the chainadjustment skrew? and the wheel moved a bit? (I torqued the nut to 140nm).

#11 Patrik, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  12. Wheel shouldn't have moved at all mate. I'd stick to 180nm if you aren't changing wheels all the time. Maybe when you tighten it up it's just pinching/Squeezing a dust seal a bit. Try running some lithium grease around your dust seals and see if that solves it. Not sure what else to suggest without seeing/hearing it in the flesh.

13. Do these have the tapered spacer that looks like it should go one way but actually goes the way that looks wrong? I have no idea but I remember someone talking about it sometime in the past.

14. They have a spacer that has a little lip. In my experience if you want it to stay captive in the dust seal then put it in lip first. I use it the other way so it can be removed easily for when the wheels go off to get tyres changed. That way I know it won't be lost in transit. Not sure if it was designed for such a reason but it works ok. I will have a look this weekend to see if there is any taper on it but I don't recall it ever being so.

15. Taper one that looks wrong is on double sided swing arms, ST's for sure and probably other variants.

16. I have a strong feeling that the cush drive rubbers are making that noise...probably over tightened chain.
    Undo all. Make sure you fit the spacers the right way, mount teh caliper holder properly.(could grease a little bit).
    Then tighten slightly by hand the axle bolt, set the chain slack (can go 2-3mm more slack above the factory setup) then position a rag between chain and the sprocket (rotate the wheel backwards until the rag is at 14 o'clock) this will pull the rear axle against the blocks.(chain adjuster screws). Then tighten the axle bolt to 160Nm.
    If you have an aluminium ruler you can slightly push against the chain (lower side) to see if perfectly lined up, or get the laser thing that fits on the rear sprocket side.

17. See my post above Patrik. Not sure that manual will be the same though as the calliper is underneath on the 899 as opposed to on top on a grey swing arm 999. I will have a look to see if I have an electronic copy of the 899 manual somewhere for you.

18. if you take the chain off the rear sprocket and do it all back up again does it still make the noise? That will tell you if it's the chain or rear wheel making the noise.

I wouldn't be riding it till that's sorted personally.

19. Thats the strange thing, I redone the whole thing a couple of days ago and it dissapeared, then went for a ride and it came back, now it is gone again... (have rode it yet tho).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information