1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT New Dvt Thoughts So Far Please Respond

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Steviegtr, Aug 10, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. Ok so briefly i bought a new 1200s DVT & ordered full touring pack + full race termi system with upmap + sat nav mount + rear pannier & rack. Exhaust has just arrived so will be fitted next week at 1st service as will sat nav. After 200 miles i got a slight oil leak & bike went to dealers for a week. On return so did the oil leak 160 miles in. So back to dealers & just picked back up today & all seems good. Anyway with 360 miles on my bike + approx 250 on 1st loan bike & then around 1500 on 2nd loan bike these are my findings which must be common to the multi DVT. The throttle is very hard to regulate on small openings, I.E creeping in traffic. Not as bad in Urban mode but still there. At cruising speed i found the bike lunges back & forth at say 50-65 miles per hr in 5th or 6th. Today on a long run to lake district i played with settings as i rode. In Touring mode which by default will be mid power (full 160 bhp but soft throttle) it is worst. If i switched to sport mode it eliminated the lurching altogether & ran smooth & balistic. In urban mode it was only slight but then by default it is only 100 bhp. All 3 bikes have the same trait so guess its just how they are. Love the thing to bits & every time i open the bikes up Max 5000rpm they nearly tear your arms from sockets. Big smiles. Can any body else contribute to this thread as iv,e read some saying mine doesn,t do that. But surely 3 cannot be all wrong. Will add anymore findings as i find them. Hoping the upmap & cat off + stupid exhaust valve removed will cure these problems but will post findings as they develop.

#1 Steviegtr, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. Mate, I only run mine in sport throttle in both modes, as the others are pish. As for the rest, wait till about 3k miles before making any judgement on engine or box. They really do take that long to loosen up and get better with time. 3k miles seems to be the point most folk think that the low mileage gremlins are gone, but I still use 160 high in sport and touring, as the other 2 modes, I never bother with. Enjoy.

PS, Run it in according to the book, for 625 miles, and then up to about 1500 miles after 1st service, and you will reap the rewards :upyeah:

#2 Wayne58, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ok point taken, but the loan bike i did the 235mile round trip on today has done 3400 miles so should be well run in. The gearbox was great as was the bike but just the throttle & lurching. Interestingly the sales guy runs 1 himself & says thats how they are & wait till you get the system on & the upmap it will be completely different. I,ll wait & see.

4. I wouldn't know about the system, as I've made it quite public on here that I think the Termi with "upmap" is a friggin rip off. All I can say, is I don't bother with 160 low as it feels fake, like its somehow not connected, where as 160 high feels like a cable throttle...Pucker :) Enjoy, they are a great bike, and as my "do everything" bike, there's no where else I'd rather be.

#4 Wayne58, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017
  5. Wayne i totally agree with you & now as of this afternoon have got my own bike back will be changing the mode settings around. I will still leave Enduro as it is because we do some runs over the moors where all the Bah sheep hang out & its so bumpy & wet & gravely that i need it to be numb. But touring definastely will set to hi power. Another thing i noticed in sports mode was how the suspension tightened right up & it cornered so good.

6. Ahh, the suspension, knew we'd get to that eventually. All the modes default suspension settings can be altered to your preference, and don't forget the front pre load is manual, there is a thread on here all about it. Best of luck.

7. been reading that. Do i need to set the front preload or is it crap.

8. It's not crap. It improves the bike a lot.

9. But surely if i go to Enduro mode for a really soft ride its going to be too stiff if the preload is wound in as far as suggested.

10. Dealers only updated the software on my bike after running in and it took care of the symptoms you seem to have. Actually transformed throttle response from what you describe to a thing of loveliness. In for another service soon and know there's ECU updates again (heated grips version) and pannier mount lugs to be sorted; will see what that brings.

Read the thread on suspension preload so will get to that at the weekend as work and a bit of a buggered foot is holding me back atm.

Definitely the best all round bike I've owned, hope you continue to enjoy Steviegtr.

11. But it will be too loose if fully unwound. Pre-load is adjusted to give the best compromise of ride and handling, and is the only manual adjustment needed on this bike, so if you run with this one parameter set far out, it will most likely ruin the rest, but its your shout, run the bike with what feels the best, but I for one and several other folks on here will testify that running pre-load wound fully out, is not the best.

12. I do 90% of my time on my bike the DVT S with the touring package in ... you've guessed it, touring mode. But then of the 2500 miles to date, most of that has been with the panniers on the bike with camera kit in them (I like to take a photo or two). Touring is a great default setting - its got that flat spot between 3 and 3.5 k but I avoid that rev range on this bike and lets be fair at 4.5k and above the thing really starts to move.

For me its generally a long day on the bike and I'm looking to arrive in one piece without leaving metal plastic and glass on the road. I find urban mode useful for cities like Bristol where I work (the congestion is significant and Urban takes some of the stress out of the journey).

I've done some some loose fire roads, but in all honesty I've not really found much need for the Enduro setting as yet. But I've always been off road in the dry.

Like many of us, I've been a quick boy in my time, but I have the medical history (broken bones etc) that goes with getting that wrong occasionally and I'm happy to just enjoy being allowed to have 2 wheels again (long story). I already struggle to keep the bike within anything approaching licence retaining limits using touring mode: using sports mode as my default setting would just add to the temptation. The mutli is a fast bike if you care to ride it that way. But its also a very flexible bike. It is a great mile muncher and its just made for twisty long distance touring over technically demanding routes.

13. I generally don't ride in sport mode, but in touring mode with the throttle in high(sport), just cause I like the more accurate feel of the throttle in this setting.

14. I've had mine in Sport since delivery and haven't bothered with any other mode. I should really get round to trying them...

Had the full Termi system fitted after 1000 miles and it has improved pick up and mid range response, but not in a life changing way.

I'm ok with the gearbox, it's not the best but way better than the GS I had before.

The best and cheapest mod was a 42t rear sprocket, this in my opinion makes the bike.

Next step is to get the suspension set up properly. The front end dives too much under braking. I'm thinking it will need new slings which will entail more money! So I'll probably hold off until next spring, I've spent enough on it this year!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. If you dont have any pre-load and you are riding rough stuff then you run the risk of "bottoming out" the suspension, do that a few times and it will defo be back to the dealer

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'm on a dvt-enduro & have masses of mileage in the tank too out ride most people. Very happy with power & performance however it would be nice to move the 33L of fuel too a rear (F800GS system) instead of been above & beside the engine. Meaning you have less topple over worry's on green-lanes/fire-roads.

17. Have you changed the preload? It may help as if it's still out of the factory soft, the first amount of travel is easily dialled out :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. This is my 5th Mutley and keep coming back to them coz they are a cracking plaything or tourer. Mine lives in Sport, hopefully I will keep this one but I am fickle!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I changed every single riding mode to full power max responsiveness. I want a familiar throttle response and I don't want it to change and get caught out. For me it needs to be the same day-in-day-out and I don't see how you can "learn" the performance mannerisms of your bike if that keeps changing.

What I do want to change between riding modes is everything else. I want Urban mode to have a softer ride with more intrusive traction control and ABS, for riding in town. I want Touring mode for the long motorway and A road blasts so I can stretch my legs but still be relatively comfortable and stable at higher speeds. I want Sport mode for when my hairs on fire, almost no traction or wheelie control, and firmer damping.

As for Enduro mode - I don't ever use it because it is the most pointless thing you'll ever find on a bike with 17" wheels. It might as well not be there. If I could remove it from the menu system I would.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information