1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Helmet And Audio Setup

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Topolino, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Been trying out some different configurations for my new helmet. Namely audio-out capture from my Sena 50S using a radio mic and a second separate radio mic to handle speech when the Sena mic is cold (no live intercom). The radio mics have onboard audio recording as a back up, in case you lose connectivity to the wireless receiver which has an audio out feed directly into an action camera, be that helmet or bike mounted, so there are no awkward wires between TX and Rx units. Currently getting to grips with my Insta360 and my two GoPro's, so hopefully will get some good footage once the warmer weather arrives next year. Having an audio feed directly into the camera, means there are no issues syncing sound with video footage and you can control each of the two mic tracks independently, if needed, in post.

audio-setup.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. What. The. Actual. Fk!?! Are you teapot one??

This stuff is pretty alien to me - I fancy a drift ghost thing but this is next level, watching with interest thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. :D It's not a complex setup by any means. I just wanted a way to record audio, when I am on my own or if in a mesh intercom group without all the faffery of wires everywhere. I used to have a camera that would connect via Bluetooth to my older Sena unit which wasn't too shabby and from which I got some reasonable footage at WDW in 2016/2018 but the battery life and resolution was not a patch on current action cameras. The Insta360 is an awesome bit of kit and if you only ever buy one action camera, it pretty much does it all. It's not quite on par with the clarity and image stabilization of the latest GoPro cameras but it's versatility and ease of use makes up for that, plus it really does open up a huge range of shots that were previously impossible to achieve.

• Useful Useful x 3
  4. Let me see if I understand this correctly. You’ve the Sena and it’s mic and it’s headphones, you’ve then attached the Rode to your helmet with a separate wireless mic. The output from the Rode wireless unit is then fed to your GoPro in order the audio captured on the GoPro is your commentary and not the road/engine noise (although a little of that will be picked up by the mic in the helmet as well but at least most if not all wind noise will be taken out of the sound), if so, what are the two Syncwires?

On a related subject does the Inst360 record sound a well s as audio or just audio? I’m interested in one of those.

Presently I have 2 mics in my helmet, the Cardo comms one and a small Rode lavallière mic that’s wired into my chin mounted GoPro. I’m always interested on others video/audio recording setups.

5. The two sync wires you see are either end of a splitter cable that goes into the audio out from the Sena. Since plugging a cable into this port disables the internal speakers, I have another set of internal speakers that plug into one end of the Y splitter. The other side of the splitter goes to the wireless mic. That feeds the receiver on the go pro or my insta360. Because the mic from the Sena is only active when you are having an intercom conversation, I use the second wirelss Tx, inside the helmet to pick up my voice if I'm riding on my own or not in an intercom conversation. Obviously the first wireless mic pics up audio from any other rider in the intercom group, be that Bluetooth or mesh. If I'm not using the Sena I just use the one internal wireless mic to transmit to the receiver on whichever camera I want and the second mounted on the bike to pick up engine noise, ambient sounds etc. As for the Insta360, it does record audio but you are better off using their mic adaptor and the Rode receiver. You will also need the special Ulanzi bracket to hide the receiver within the stitch line of the two lenses so it doesn't show up in post. Hope this helps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. You have probably doubled the weight of your X-Lite now Rod! You should have just bought the Y-Heavy version :joy:

Never been a fan of Helmet clutter, especially on a sports bikeo_O

7. :D:D Yep it is a tad heavier but not as much as you would think. All the wireless accessories, Sena and any camera I use, are all on mountings that allow them to be unclipped from the helmet if I want to cut comms completely. The GoPro is probably the heaviest item (still only weighs a few hundred grams). The SENA and wireless mics are very light. You certainly don't notice them. If I am using the Insta360 I can mount it on the bike and I'm just left with the additional wireless mics on the helmet, probably less than 100g the pair. It's not the most elegant solution but it is the least cumbersome with minimal wiring required as it's all mostly running over 2.4Ghz WiFi with the exception of the SENA unit. Unless a manufacturer (Don't get me started over "Skully") comes up with a built-in forward/rear facing camera system with full connectivity to an internal audio and mic feed then this is the only option on the market right now. Plus you can of course use any of the kit for other purposes besides bike related ones.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information