1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT New Keyless Fuel Cap Fitted

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Chuggy, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Cheap £30 Chinese flavour

Bit of a chow on to fit... damn those 2 screws holding the original cap to the rest of the gubbins
    ...and 0° outside made the plsdyics a bit non flexible, but it's done...looks canny
    Let's hope it seals and isn't too tricky to undo with gloves on ( It's quite tight to turn)

20220109_120857.jpg

20220109_120905.jpg

20220109_125712.jpg

2. Had considered one before but all the agg of fitting + the cost and the only time it mattered (touring) & removing the tank bag to fill out me off. Likely I'd drop it occasionally as well didn't seem it'd benefit me. Though it does look nice.

3. Lol that's a pretty comprehensive set of reasons not to do it lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. yep I bought one and bailed out when I saw how much stripping down to fit ,so well done Chuggy :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I bought a Ducati electronic release replacement cap. A bit more money but finding the key at a gas station became surprisingly aggravating, especially on tour.

Yes stripping it down and putting it back together was a faff but it’s manageable. If in doubt, get a friend to help.

6. I was surprised how easy it was to remove the bodywork. 3mm & 4mm allen keys only from memory.

I suppose it was a bit of a shock that you have to take everything off to replace the fuel cap!

7. I like to look and convenience of these, and of course they are a lot cheaper than the Ducati one.

But I was put off when my brother told me that a fuel cap has to lock to pass an MOT now.
    I'm wondering if there is any truth to this or was he talking out of his arse?

8. @cookster, as our resident MoT tester, would you like to comment on this ? Andy

9. Hi a fuel cap must not leak, be missing or ineffective.
    So if it doesn't actually lock with a key that's not a reason for failure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. Cheers for the confirm, I'll be happy to tell him he's talking out of his arse :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm with Sam got mine changed at my local dealer when mine was in for a service
    Got frustrated having to get the key out at petrol stations works a treat

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yep plenty ore exp3nsive ones.... I have a reputation as a cheapskate to maintain tho

13. Looks great and well done, but I just spent 2 minutes scratching my head asking why?

I assume your bike had keyless start but not keyless cap open so as someone else said it was a PITA, right? And you offset that 5 second chore, multiplied by 30 fill ups a year (lets say) by stripping your bike?? :eek: You're a brave soul buddy.

14. i can understand why especially with keyless start bikes. PITA to dig around to find key for petrol cap. but electric/lockable ones bloody expensive so defo not that option. happy to pay less £100 but if they don't lock at all.....how often are you going to face scrot who syphons your tank (depending where you have to leave your bike). but why does the whole bike have to come apart to replace the tank ring/cap unit??

15. Yep it's a bit of a pita....but it's also a chance to get into the bike and give it a bit of a cleandown, where you don't normally get
    At the end of the day it's a dozen or so screws

....and it's gadge

16. Use a lanyard round my neck (one of the paddock pass type ones with a plastic break-point that pulls apart under load) with a dumb key cut by a locksmith from a photo of the OEM Ducati one. Just have to unzip my jacket and it's there. No real sweat in doing that at fuel stops TBH. Considered a key-less fuel cap in the early days of owning my 1260 Mutley but the faff of fitting, plus some stories of them jamming shut, put me off. Then started using the solution above, works a treat and fits luggage too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Unless you’ve had keyless fuel caps, you don’t know what you’re missing. I’ve had it on my last dozen or so bikes, and wouldn’t be without it. Bit pissed that I’ve had to fork out for one on my new pikes peak, but hey ho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I just bought a keyless cap from eBay. Goal is to fit it this weekend - fingers crossed.
    There's another thread with some useful info - I'll take any tips that might help.

19. The less you need to use the key the better. Having had one snap in the seat lock and the faff to get a new cut is a reason to get one. Not had any issues with it jamming. Have been too quick trying to open after I've switched the ignition off which it didn't like but other than that I'd miss it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information