1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Lid Advice

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Felstmiester, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Rather than hi jacking someone else’s thread asking about the Arai I thought I’d air my questions here.
    Long story short I brought the wrong lid last year. I’m now looking for a new one and I really like the look of the Xlite 803 ultra carbon. From what I understand from research is the 803 replaced the 802? Also they’re both basically the same judging by reviews etc. Question is. If I go for the 802 would it have been sitting on a shelf for the past couple of years so in another 3 or so years be beyond it’s so called shelf life?

2. I would say so, even if it’s been stored in box in a dark place.

Is the cost difference between the 802 and 803 significant enough to make you dismiss the 803?

3. Don’t recall there being a life date for lids anymore.

Most of the decent ones have the acu gold sticker on them and are usually snell approved.

I run mine until they’re knackered. I’d be skint if I replaced them every time I stacked it ha

my current arai is covered in gravel rash and still passes scrutineering

4. I think they recommend that you change your lid every 5 years. Of course this could be a ploy by manufacturers to get you to replace it/them regularly.

I do change mine every 5 years though.

• Like Like x 1

5. That sounds like something I’ve heard before to be fair

6. This one has had a tough old life. Three big shunts. Two at over 100mph.

still passed by scrutes and arai as fit amazingly

7ADD4DE3-1242-4339-B2B8-86394800AE31.jpeg D22A0611-E3D5-4D3C-AB50-C0F076C249A8.jpeg DBE44A87-4175-4E8C-A0EE-143CC34F1CB6.jpeg 1D7F9912-5292-43DD-83F0-0A7E1A627BDA.jpeg 69D56838-09AF-4016-B13E-0BCD3F63FB91.jpeg

#6 Advikaz, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • WTF WTF x 1
  7. My understanding about the 5 year thinking (other than the manufacturers wanting reasons for you to buy a new lid) is that the internal polystyrene type stuff deteriorates over time.....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I've just bought a new one after 10 years but there nothing really wrong with my old arai. Still wear it for track days

9. That’s the exact model/colour scheme I have. Only in better nick of course.

The XLite 803 ultra carbon is a lot lighter than my Arai and just as comfortable. The only niggle I had with it was the fastener on the strap was fiddly to button down. However, as many have told me, after much use it’s now much better. Though I’d add it’s currently still not as easy to fasten as the Arai.

• Like Like x 1
  10. There should be a 'made on <date>' tag on the strap within the lining. As others have said, polystyrene has a 5 year material shelf life. Environmental factors will make that lower, so best to replace after 4 years for peace of mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Crikey - I thought it was ten years and left it that long to change the last one. Us Cornish make the Scots look positively generous! Means I’ve got two years left on the current one so some essential food shopping on the multistrada beckons.....

Quick search in t’internet came up with some interesting points on when the start period should be - a lot favoured the when you start using and exposing to uv rays, rain and squishing your head in and sweating in it etc but @Mac ’s point on stamping made on dates I think would also be useful when buying for reassurance.

Right, time for a pasty run to Sainsbury’s .....

12. I’d buy an 802RR tomorrow if I could find one. The 803 which replaced it, has a different shell shape. Helmet materials degrade mostly due to exposure to sunlight. A new 802RR that has been in a box on a shelf, IMO would not be an issue. Andy

13. I work in aerospace with some brilliant materials engineers (doctors of materials, some of them). They tell me that 'shelf life' technically means 'from date of original manufacture'. Therefore, polystyrene has already lost some of its 5 years shelf life as soon as it leaves the factory in which its made. A freshly-made helmet is likely to have already lost at least a couple of months before it's put into a helmet, and probably a couple of months more before it's sold. Hence my personal 4 year replacement strategy from the date inside the lid.

But polystyrene is only ever going to really help with low force impacts and that's why we should ride defensively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cheers guys. I love the look of the uc rr but it seems your paying a lot extra for something that’s pretty much the same as the standard 803.
    After more searching the net it seems the 802 is becoming hard to get hold of. The ones I’ve seen up for just a tad over £200. When you actually go in to buy and click on size it’s generally xxl only so think that rules out the 802.
    Think cheapest I’ve seen the 803 uc is £298. Not bad for that kind of lid.
    There is some second hand ones on various sites in my size for well under half that but I just can’t bring myself to buy a lid second hand.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I have an Ultra Carbon 803RR in plain carbon, I paid £270 for it as they were discontinuing them. I used to sell helmets etc in a bike shop so kinda know what I'm looking at. It's very 'Arai' in fit and comfort, I'm fairly happy with it, I also have a Shoei X spirit 3 that I replaced as it was 7 years old. The EPS does go 'HARD' which is the issue, but 5 years is 'recommended' rather than a hard stop

16. Just spied the 803 uc hot lap rs. Now I like that! Slightly more expensive but looks the part. By the looks of it your only getting slightly more paint or graphics.

17. I would have thought the 5 years is use and the deformation and compacting of the polystyrene rather than the polystyrene degrading. The resins in carbon and glass fibre don't degrade with UV like they used to and certainly not over time. I would like to think 5 years is a save amount from first use and then dependent on how much use it gets. That my opinion anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Opinion is fine, but materials safety data sheets are fact, as is the British Standards Institute and the rules they come up with. Shelf Life is a technical thing and is what it says. What manufacturers will give warranties on is a different thing entirely.

19. Being a tightwad , I buy duchini helmets for £80 and replace them every 3 years , they look feel and fit great .

20. So who is right then? The British standards institute or the manufacturers warranty?
    They can't both be right if they differ.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information