1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member In The Midlands

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Cromwelluk, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Hi
    Recent new owner of a 04 749 bip enjoying clocking up a few miles at the moment before the winter sets in
    Been reading up so not to ask the usual repeat questions and finding my way around the forum
    The only thing bugging me at the moment is the side stand as the bike leans way tooooo far over for my liking , its making me paranoid LOL
    Checked the side stand and its been stripped cleaned and the bolt tightened up and its not worn
    See a few posts to extend the foot but mine seems / needs to be extended by 30mm which seems a lot
    I can usually find a place / position to park and take a "pad " with me just in case
    I have not checked to see if the rear suspension has been jacked up yet which is this weekends job
    Great forum with loads of information
    Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome leaning Eddie. :) :upyeah:

Get some pics of the bike and your wheelie bins up before @Ducbird appears. o_O

3. Welcome Eddie :):upyeah:

4. Welcome Eddie. Pics please and I hope it’s not red. Got to bat for the yellow side. Did they even do 749s in yellow? :confounded: ps. I come from the Midlands originally despite the Irish/Italian flag.

#4 West Cork Paul, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hi Eddie and welcome to the forum.

6. Where’s your pics of bins and bike :thinkingface::punch:
    We like them and it’s a forum law :)

Please be red otherwise you can’t come into the mad house ;)

7. welcome eddie'

8. Welcome Dave

9. Welcome Eddie,some Ducati sidestands aren’t the best,plenty on here have them of that era though so hopefully help on its way

10. Hi, and welcome Eddie.

I’m also midlands based ... East Midlands that is. Also have a 2004 749.

There was a thread recently about putting a 3 to 5mm shim in the yoke at the top of the side stand, to correct the over lean that they suffer from.

Have a search for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hello & welcome

12. This works but bonding the plate/shim in place didn't work for me.
    Currently experimenting with an interference fit.
    There's a lot of pressure there with so much leverage.

13. Cheers and Thanks for the warm welcome
    Yes its Red , pictures to follow :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. The problem appears to be that the steel fitting the aluminium stand bears against as an end stop isn’t terribly flat so digs a hole in the softer aluminium.
    This allows the stand to travel further forward in its arc, so it ends up further in underneath the bike - not good.

15. Welcome and enjoy

16. Welcome Fast Eddie to the forum:motorcycleduc::upyeah:

17. Thanks for the heads up , My side stand look good with no wear , but as you say it extends further ,as a test i put a 5 mm Allen key between the steel bracket and the flat on the alloy side stand and it was perfect , I see why people have put a "packer " in there , I'll have another look but a 12mm x 5mm striker plate seems a simple fix
    Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  18. My 749 with the obligatory bin , So far , I've fitted mirrors that work , R1 throttle tube , clutch cover
    and done the side stand spacer mod.
    Still working my way through the Forum , thanks to all those who have contributed loads of useful and essential information 749a.jpg

• Love You Love You x 1

19. Your lucky that’s blue your in :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information