1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Monster 821 Announced

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by Rob, May 28, 2014.

• Brand new Monster 821 powered by 112hp water-cooled 821cc Testastretta 11°
    • Available also in Dark version, Monster 821 ready for delivery July 2014
    Ducati announces the brand new Monster 821, a mid-size entry for the third generation of the iconic naked model and the latest chapter in the Bologna-built motorcycle’s famous story. Underlining Ducati’s strong association to the Bologna region, the company has chosen to release the first images of the new model portrayed in typical Bolognese ambience.

Following the successful unveiling of the new generation Monster 1200 at the Milan International Motorcycle show in November, Ducati now introduces the Monster 821, a mid-size version of the exciting new model and the latest entry to the world of Monster.

Having delivered over 290,000 Monsters since the original concept more than 20 years ago, the essential new model maintains its stylish character using the new chassis and muscular styling of the Monster 1200, designed with premium components fully integrated with Ducati’s latest technologies.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Powered by the latest edition of Ducati’s highly successful 821 Testastretta 11° engine, the highly accessible new Monster combines 112hp and 65.9ft-lb of torque with an impressively lightweight 179.5kg – 395.7lb (dry weight) overall package. This stylish mix of minimalism and performance paves the way back to the original essence of the Monster concept, where less-is-more and made-in-Italy combine to create a motorcycle lifestyle.

High-spec brakes, excellent suspension and stylish componentry merge with Ducati’s best-yet ergonomics to offer the Italian manufacturer’s most attractive mid-range Monster ever. Super comfortable and with an innovative adjustable seat height, the model also combines 8-level traction control, 3-level ABS and 3-level Ride-by-Wire into Ducati’s user-friendly, press-button Riding Modes.

The Monster 821 uses next generation technologies to create an enhanced rider/motorcycle relationship, delivering a high-adrenaline experience while constantly reassuring with the feeling of complete control and ergonomic integration.

Available in UK Ducati Dealerships from July 2014 onwards, the Monster 821 Dark is presented in dark stealth with black frame and black wheels with an SRP of £8,500, while the Monster 821 is dressed in Ducati red with red frame and black wheels or star white silk with red frame and matte red wheels with an SRP of £8700. Both red and white liveries are equipped with colour-matched single-seat covers. The brand new model is also made available to restricted license holders with the specially regulated power versions of 25kw for Switzerland and 35kw for other participating countries.

Read the whole post here.

#1 Rob, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  1. Hmmm, loses the single-sided swing arm of the 796, but 112 HP is quite pokey. My old 1100 was only 95 HP.

No 's' version as to be expected. Pricing seems quite reasonable though. Would sit nicely alongside my 1098 ;)

2. These new monsters just seem a little stale and uninspired; a safe bet if you like. I had a M1100 and rode the M1200S and the latter didn't have any sparkle for me at all.

I expect this to be the end of the 848 Streetfighter too, another shame as at least the Streetfighters had some nuts about them.

3. That swingarm is horrid. Not a pretty bike compared to the air cooled bikes imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Well, it doesn't do much for me. The M796 has SS swing arm, nice underseat exhausts and was a fair bit cheaper. This is not moving it along and as said, will probably kill the SF848 which at least has some presence. This is pretty mild but I can see how it would appeal to new riders with a restrictor.

5. Looks like a collection of bits, but that is exactly what the Monster started out as. I wonder whats going to happen to the 696?

6. I wonder if they have addressed the issue with foot clearance with those slightly different exhausts.

7. The heatshield still looks real close to the foot peg.

8. Don't like the exhaust placement, loved the 696/796 symmetry.
    Suppose that could be rectified by an aftermarket though.

9. Has Ducati got a new designer lately ?

10. I wonder if this is Audi's influence on the Ducati brand...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chris Bangle.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Very boring looking if you ask me, then again it's a stepping stone to the brand isn't it.

The problem with monsters is that they just got smaller and smaller, anybody remotely 6ft or over looks too big on them.

It'd be easier to design them with more room and then offer the lower seat for the vertically challenged IMO, as it stands they're almost like toys.

Surely Audi must throw some common sense in there, I know the Germans are a pretty tall lot.....apart from that twat with a moustache..... You know.....him

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. They'd better not make the new bikes taller.

The Monster is one of very few sexy bikes which are any good for the shorter of leg like me.

If the 821 is to replace the 696 and 796, it needs to be as accessible to shorties as the 696.

You whinging tall guys - go buy a KTM! I can't even get tiptoes on the ground for any bike KTM make, even the 125s!

14. Yes but you can wear heels or get a lower seat / mount via a trampoline :)

We'd have to chop off our legs below the knee....... A bit extreme really

15. He's right about the KTM, I have the KTM fancy seat on mine which raises the height, something I normally do on bikes. Now on the KTM with this in place, I'm only just able to flat foot, really I'm on my toes at a stop. Not a problem for me and I like the fact the KTM seems to dwarf the Streetfighter which I felt too big on. A baby Monster would look like a snack lunch to me.

All you chaps who are catching up with evolution and under 6 foot would struggle on the 1290 to touch both feet. Bikerbabe tried it and had a mild panic attack and had to sit down for a while and breath into a paper bag.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sorry but I just don't like water-cooled Monsters. ANd why do they never show the left hand side of the bike? Because it's a mess of hoses. To me, it looks a bit like a Bandit. Very disappointing.

17. You can tell how small it is, the people look about the right size but are stood back about 10ft , even the bloke sat on it is slid over to one side trying to make it look bigger.

Nah.... It's a toy

18. The "Austrian" German you mean? ;)

19. hmmm, you seem very well informed

Almost too much........ And they never found the body.........

Do Not Sell My Personal Information