1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Cockneyboy1963, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Hi Everyone I’m just about to receive delivery of a Multistrada 1200s 2011 . I’m new to Ducati and have only driven a handful of bikes so I’m pretty much an inexperienced rider . Although I’ve been driving Lambretta’s all my life ! . My Question is I live north of the border and as you know it get pretty wet and ice up hear ! What drive mode would be the best to cope with the conditions. After what I’ve already red it looks like I won’t be in sport mode very often ! Thanks

2. Alwight me old cock sparra . Now you've gone an gotcha a very nice 'Dick Van Dyke' there. A bit more powerful than 'red hooter' you've been used to. Keep it in 'old'n'boring' till you get used to it, then move on up to 'bottle of port' when you are more comfortable.
    Welcome to the forum me old China !

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome Cockney Dave,
    Consider the 4 modes as just names.
    You can edit all the functions, so I'd suggest that you........
    Have a play

4. Being inexperienced and in wet and slippery conditions I'd advise that you stay in Touring mode to start with. It has a more progressive throttle action than Sports mode and the Ducati Safety System is pre-loaded to give a high-ish setting for traction control and ABS. The Skyhook suspension takes care of roadholding and will adjust to suit your riding style so will give good grip. You get the full 150bhp and torque available, but it is controlled by your right hand so you don't have to use it all. Use your judgement, and if that is a little lacking at first just be cautious and let experience build. You've controlled a powered two wheeler before so don't be scared, but equally, don't be too bold or rash. You certainly shouldn't whip the throttle open to see what the traction control will do for you - there's a lot of torque there.
    There are two settings which give a limited 100bhp (still plenty) - Urban and Enduro. If you want that safety blanket Urban will be safest with high ABS and TC, but the suspension will be softened to cope with potholes and speed bumps in a urban environment. This results in wallowing when riding bends briskly on the open road.
    As it is not a new bike I'd advise you set all the engine and DSS values to Default, as the previous owner may well have customised them. Check your Handbook on how to do it as it involves going int Settings on the dash. Or post again here and someone with a 2012 bike will guide you through, or even your local Ducati dealer will walk you through it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Welcome Cockneyboy :upyeah:

6. Welcome to the forum Cockneyboy...

Nice to see another new member venturing in to the magical world of Ducati :)

Surely it hasn't taken you 54yrs to see the light and buy a Ducati :thinkingface:

7. VERY IMPORTANT
    Learn how to use the PIN code to start the bike, then CHANGE the pin code to something you can remember..... write it down in a couple of places.....
    On the edge of the Shed door, in pencil on the V5.... hidden somewhere on the bike, but backwards or with your DOB either side.

8. VERY IMPORTANT
    Your motorcycle is not equipped with a working rear brake. This is not a fault, but an important design feature.
    If it is working, it won't be for long.
    Using Google search "Ducatiforum" Rear brake Multistrada for the various threads on how to add a back brake feature to your machine.

Good Luck Dave.

9. Welcome along mate :cool:

10. Welcome Cockerneescotch :):upyeah:you will know @finm then :eek:

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  11. Welcome Dave and thread moved to newbies section

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks for the message of encouragement . My names Rodney not Dave !!! Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Had to happen one day :thinkingface:

14. I don't know if that was meant to be funny. :) But it fookin was :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks for your help . It’s kind of worrying to learn that I won’t have a back break on a 150bhp motorcycle especially in the ice .

16. Or Del :thinkingface:

17. My Name is actually Mark lol But you can call me Dave if you want pmsl

• Like Like x 1
  18. Not THAT Rodney?Hows Del?Hiya.

19. Fook.....Too slow...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information