1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Project - But Not A Bike (yet)!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by midlifecrisis, Jun 8, 2019.

1. 788E6A0E-1B4C-4D8D-8BA1-44791D35F7E6.jpeg I have finally started work on a new project which will involve a Ducati at some point in the near future but not quite yet. After more than 27 years, I have started work on a project to convert my garage into a workshop. I’m rapidly approaching a significant birthday (starting with a 6!) and retirement is looming so I have decided that my garage urgently needs to be converted into a workshop suitable for all my hobbies (woodworking, guitar building, DIY and, most importantly, motorbikes). This single garage is built of stone and brick with a slate roof and is around 70 years old. It’s more than a little damp but it looks really nice, has a watertight roof, a window with a view over the garden, power and water and, once I have cleared out all the junk accumulated over the last 30 years, space. So far, I have stripped off most of the flaking masonry paint from the walls (and increased the size by a significant amount as it was pretty thick) and removed the shelves and ancient kitchen units from the walls. Next job is to have all the internal walls repaired and re-pointed and the rough cast on the external walls tidied up. I’m getting a professional to do this - I know my limitations! Once that’s done I can tackle the damp issue with liberal applications of tanking slurry on the internal walls followed by lining with marine ply. Storage shelves and cupboards are waiting to line the walls and a workbench will join them beside the window. I’m sure a music system and a couple of chairs will also appear at some point, just to make me feel at home. After that comes a Ducati, most likely a 90s Monster, with a riding position suited to my ageing spine and in need of a little TLC. Watch this space.

I welcome any suggestions as to what I should be doing to make this a workshop suitable for a Ducati. I feel the final colour scheme will involve the colour red in some significant areas.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Nice man cave potential you have there. :) :upyeah:

I do think I'd be taking the advertising sign off the wall telling everyone there's a Ducati inside though. o_O

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Nice one MLC, go for it, keep us posted with developments:upyeah:

4. Everybody needs a mancave just to unwind in life,good luck with the project & locating your monster:upyeah:

5. You'll never have enough plug sockets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Just had a flash of genius! Get some plug sockets on the beams so you can run an Optimate to your bike without trailing a cable over the floor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Insulation behind the ply panelling .. membrane too . Plastic tiles for the floor

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. And drain and ventilate the void too.

9. Do you need full ceiling height for the whole of the room?

Easily accessible loft storage is invaluable, but if you are storing tools and bike parts up there it needs to be part of the lined insulated space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I made sure I got enough electrickery into mine when I did it. Before I started I had a single light bulb and a single plug socket. :idea: I now have 13 plug sockets and 6 LED strip lights :idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea: plus a light in the new loft space. :innocent:

Good lighting as well as plug sockets would be a recommendation given my experience. :upyeah: Also dry lining instead of plastering. You can have a cavity between the outside wall for damp and insulate too. Obviously it'll be a bit thicker. I did my own and it wasn't too difficult.

SL383584.JPG

SL383583.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

#10 Robarano, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  11. You can't have too many sockets (but you seemed to have manage to) :bucktooth:

12. I was in the garage before. I actually have 19 sockets (9 doubles and a single). :eek: Some medium size houses won't have that. :innocent:

13. Did you count the ones hidden behind the tall cupboards o_O

14. :thinkingface:......................o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sorry - it has been a very long time since I last updated you about progress with my ‘project’.
    The garage has been damp-proofed, ply-lined, painted, power has been installed and several car-loads of junk have been relocated to the landfill site. Shelving units and cupboards have been fitted and tools, screws, paints etc have been allocated space. The floor has still to be painted and the garden furniture is a temporary resident but the best news is that........

a Monster has arrived!

A 2002 750ie with only 18k miles to be precise and it’s gorgeous and it’s mine. The plan is to spend the winter sorting out a very few, largely cosmetic issues and then hit the road again in the spring. I am so excited!!

74941E37-F910-4800-A9AD-D4130EA3D869.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  16. I see you've music in place plus beers on the shelf but a very short bed:(;) so all the very best in your mancave with this one.:upyeah:

17. Agreed, 18 in my workshop. Each has something plugged into it and I've also got two 4-way splitters... :(

18. Interior shutters/grill for windows & god alarm is minimum security I’d go for too.
    Billy burglars love garages with ‘man’ toys in. Other genders are of course available.

19. Brilliant - how come I have never thought of this? Its going to happen this week

• Like Like x 3
  20. Awesome work. That interior is truly incredible.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information