1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New R1’s....

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Advikaz, Sep 19, 2018.

1. I’ve got a bit of a hankering for one...

Any experiences, ridden one ? Owned one? Tracked ones etc...

Be interested to hear views and experiences

2. Bloke up pub says they are great ;)

Actually, bloke I know who races one immediately went at least 2 seconds faster on his than the previously GSXR, ZX10R, Fireblades he had been running and went mid pack to top 10 in NL racing. Raves about the bike. And Jimmy Buchannan rents one on his trackdays, good way to find out ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. @graeme4130 instructs on them at the Master Class at Silverstone IIRC

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. As per my other thread, I rode one back to back with the RSV4, here were my thoughts...

Brakes strong but lack feel, felt 'dead' at the lever
    Lovely Gearbox
    Slightly heavier clutch than the Aprilia, but still fine
    Better noise than the Aprilia (both on standard exhausts), more gruff at lower revs
    Amazing throttle connection, felt really connected, better than on my 899
    Suspension a little harsh, especially the rear but potentially sorted with set up
    Dash board is brilliant, clear and easy to read.
    A little rubbish that you had to stop to change engine mode it seemed (i got caught out in a biblical downpour) so wanted to flick to a lower power mode.

Both bikes wheelied on me when I opened fully up on the same straight section, the RSV4 shut the power and the front wheel dropped, no issue but the R1 did the same thing and yet just seemed to touch the wheel down like a feather, was so smooth the way it sorted the power out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I've just bought 1, had it 3 weeks and could not be happier, still have the 1098R but it probably won't get a lot of saddle time now... Have run it in and did Silverstone on Monday, smashed my personal best (which is not a lot to write home about - but finally got into the 2:40's) but personally I find it so easy to ride and very confidence inspiring! Sounds as good as the RSV4 I traded in for it too!! Only slight issue is that the brakes are not as good as a decent Brembo setup and the ABS can be a bit intrusive on hard braking... I only noticed it once but I'd imagine you fast group boys would notice it more... In a nutshell I think I have found the bike for me!! Can't really fault it and its given me a shed load more confidence at chucking around on a track day already!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. i can feel a trade in with my 1198 coming on!!

• Like x 1
    • WTF x 1
    • Face Palm x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Nuke Post x 1
  8. Thanks for the posts guys

9. Not sure this is going to help but my mate Tom bought a new r1m and had nothing but problems with it. It's done 1800 miles and already had gear box problems then the fuel pump went, had a new ecu in it as it kept cutting put on him, also had clutch problems. But there all sorted now ...... Just picked it up after being fixed again and heads out towards Aylesbury, mid corner bike cuts out lost grip and flung him into a tree, bike cart wheels into a lorry. No more r1m. Tom got broken ribs, shatterd right arm and is now looking at legal advise .

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Jesus

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Think his must have been a Friday afternoon bike.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sounds it Al, hope he gets better. Not nice hearing things like that, does remind you though how fragile we really are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ouch!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeah he's out of hospital now but not happy as you could imagine, he was only thinking about px it for an rsv4 too. But to be fair I still think the r1 is a cracking bike but it does make you think about buying one when you hear of one having so many problems.

• Like Like x 2
  15. @bradders You might know him mate, big tom who works for tps vw parts ??

16. I'd buy one for the noise alone.

17. They have been known to suffer from crankshaft snapping in half. It is rare though.

18. So has the 1098R I believe.... eeek...

@Advikaz There is a head to head test by Rutter in the last PB magazine. R1M v V4S at Donington. Good read. Especially if you bought a V4S :laughing:

19. Make sure he collects and controls the evidence...ie the motorcycle:upyeah:

#19 XH558, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. With the price difference you could probably buy yourself a lesser R1 as a wet bike ;)

I know where there is a 120 mile new one for 13k (not the M version)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information