1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New Seat Cover

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Dremmel, Mar 11, 2019.

1. As can be seen by the photo the original seat cover on the 748R is showing its age. I am minded to replace it with something close to original but with a slightly modern touch.

These are made in Canada 45€ in vinyl (logo annoys me but there you go).

Hesitatingly, thoughts?

Original Seat.jpg Lui Moto CF Vinyl#1.jpg Lui Moto CF Vinyl#2 Close up.jpg

2. Buy some Alcantara and recover?

3. Well done, I had to google that. I see it has marine applications so I will have to see what it is like in a tactile sense - mention is made of it being suede-like - it's not, umm, too delightful is it? As in wanting to ride "tools out".

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. If you ride 'tools out' then depending on
    a) the ambient temperature - and it's always cold & wet in Liverpool, and
    b) the routing of your exhaust system,
    your tool will either get so cold it becomes invisible or you will suffer serious burns. Best to keep the tools indoors on a bike ;).

It's used a lot in the car industry as a seat covering, suede like but doesn't lose its pile and wear/polish smooth like suede would. German car manufacturers use it frequently so find a friend with a BMW/MB/VW who has suede type seats and you'll be able to see it in the flesh.

You'll also find it will give better grip when in contact with your leathers which, depending on your riding style and how much you want to move about on the saddle, may or may not be a good thing.

It's not waterproof so best to leave the original covering in place and stretch the alcantara over it. Your current seat covering is probably held in place with staples from a staple gun so do the same with the alcantara.

In the spirit of openness, I speak with some learned knowledge and anticipated future knowledge as I've just ordered some off ebay to cover the seat on my 748 so not actually done it yet:confused:, although I will report back when it is done.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. This is mine.
    seat cover.JPG seat cover (1).JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Excellent, I look forward to it. Are you just going to an auto upholsterer or borrowing the BIG stapler from work and if you don't mind about how much was it?

7. @Birdie Is that an aftermarket piece? If so, from where?

8. 45 x 45cm from Ebay.co.uk
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...var=690847489947&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    I don't intend to go to an upholsterer, although we do have one locally just in case, I intend to have a go myself first. It can't be that difficult and I have a staple gun.
    @Birdie 's above looks like alcantara but professionally done and embroidered.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. My Alcantara was from a company on eBay from Germany, it was a few years ago now.
    Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Presumably you had it embroidered 'though?
    @Dremmel it should be easy enough to find someone who embroiders t-shirts/hoodies etc local to you who could copy Steve's one? I'll probably do that myself actually. Find an embroiderer that is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. No that's how it came, in a sheet big enough to do the seat ready embroidered , he did one with Ducati and a logo on as well. Just had a look and can't find him at the moment.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  12. Throw caution into the wind and order yourself some Alcantara on ebay then pretend like it never rains 5996FB59-295E-4B59-A8CE-5CE6CE0DFE35.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. If your near Farnham Surrey try Trevor Norris 01252 726228 or 07918 077485,
    he trimmed my Triumph GT6 a fantastic job

Do Not Sell My Personal Information