1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sprockets For Old

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Pete1950, Sep 3, 2017.

1. If you have an old bike, a bevel say, on which the back sprocket is getting worn out but for which new standard sprockets are unobtainable, what is the best solution?

* One possibility is buying a plain blank sprocket (i.e. with just the teeth round the edge and a guide hole in the centre) and having it machined as required to fit - depending how complicated the centre is.

* Another possibility is turning off the old teeth and welding or bolting on a ring with new teeth.

* If you want the sprocket to have less teeth than it had before, to change the gearing, the old teeth could be turned off and new teeth formed directly on what's left.

I am informed that John Hemming Engineering (near Shrewsbury) is able to do this kind of job. Anyone have any experience, suggestions, or constructive comments?

2. many years ago (40) I had a 250 triple Kawasaki. i bought a "ring" of teeth had the sprocket turned down at work and bolted the new teeth on. Twas just like a modern QR carrier

3. I have spoken to John Hemming, and he assures me can cut fresh teeth onto my old sprocket so problem solved - or it soon will be. No website or emails, it's send goods by post and pay by cheque. That takes me back ...

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. iirc Talon make sprockets to order, top quality too

5. talon make a lot of stuff for the MX world. The place I get my MOT done concentrate on MX and they have talon stuf which includes items I would best describe a s a ring of teeth. I'm sure you could get them to fit on anything if you wanted
    I have Talon QR sprocket on my MV

6. Received my sprocket in the post today, now with 42 new teeth instead of 46 worn ones. Mr Hemming told me on the phone it would be £90, but the invoice was actually for £55 including P&P. So I have put a cheque in the post and sent it First Class - I only hope the HSBC can still remember what a cheque was.

Fitted the sprocket to the bike, which involved shortening the drive chain by a link, and took it for a short run. The gearing is much better now, so very pleased. I plan to ride the 160 to the Essex meet at West Horndon on Sunday, weather permitting, as it's only 20 miles or so from me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. And so I did.

20171008_140229.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. there must be engineering companies out there that can do this, the old step father gets gears made from scratch for his vintage machinery. sure it wasn't that expensive either.

9. Shame that garish taxi paint job is ruining the photo.

10. "Black" taxis are not what they were.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes there must be. If you know of any which are ready, willing, able, and equipped to re-tooth sprockets, perhaps you would helpfully share their contact details with us.

12. it was more a convo piece, a dont give up hope contribution if you like
    if it where me, i would get a new sprocket of similar dimension cut out the center, key and weld it to the original. not a hard thing to do with the correct tools.

13. Hi Pete
    Shame i missed the meet on Sunday (holiday) i would have liked to have had a look at your new bike, Dan mentioned it to me today about it (owns the 749 in the photo)
    what year and model is it, looks a mint bike :upyeah:

As for the taxi it is Essex, looks like the bus shelter could do with a new roof,

14. It's a 1965 Ducati 160 Monza Junior Mk 2, and it is fairly standard and in excellent running order. Not quick, of course, but fun to ride. I am enjoying it, as an alternative to the big bikes.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information