1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Supersport, 999 Or 749?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by gdbd59, Jul 22, 2021.

1. I have a 1000SS, - long reach & pretty tall saddle. I have aftermarket 'bars on it, but it's still a longer reach than a 2017 Supersport. I've long liked the look of the 999/749, but never sat on one. The new SS is heavier than mine, a 749 lighter. I like torque, but I don't need a 999's 140bhp.

Some say the 749 is the sweeter-handling because of it's lighter weight. What's a 749 or 999 like for riding position/comfort, and grunt out of corners?

2. Only you can answer that question. Beg, borrow or steal a test ride. Having recently ridden the 2017 SuperSport, the 2021 model floats my boat more than the 749S I test road when it was launched nearly 20 years ago. Andy

3. Ok Andy, ta. I'm rural in south-west Scotland though, getting on one isn't easy.

4. i do like the 999's at the mo.

5. Being that far from an authorised dealer might influence your choice. A 749/999 can happily be serviced by yourself or a good independent. A new SuperSport will require main dealer support. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'm not too far away from the Carlisle dealer. I prefer the 749/999 look, like a fairing, & tests at the time said they were much more comfortable than the 748/998 series.

7. Im really into my 749s and it feels infinitely more chuckable than my 748r but then i have no skill and 100mph is fast for me

8. A 749/999 is a comfy bike for a sportsbike and both easy / rewarding to ride. They are on the up, valuewise and many people are now changing their minds on the look of the Terblanche bikes.

The 749 isn't much slower on the roads than the 999 for most riders in the "legal-ish" zone and handles well. Worth hunting an S version of either, and on the 999 this gets you Ohlins. The S version of the 749 has a few differences, including adjustable footrest mounts and headstock and some other bits I can't remember.

Monopostos look best, and worth checking it's a genuine one as many have been converted. Check the rear subframe for cracks / repairs... it's not always obvious when these have gone. Termis crack also, but are loads lighter than the standard system.

The early vs late debate goes on... I'd be tempted to buy on condition first, spec second. Electrics can be a bugger and some parts (e.g. dashboard buttons) drop off and are hard to find. Fairings are going to be very scarce in a few years if they're not already.

The Supersport is an interesting proposition, and although they're not the headline grabbers of the Ducati range I cannot imagine for a minute that a Supersport S would be anything other than a nice bike. Haven't ridden one though.

If you can run to it, the 749r or 999r are both really special.

Considered a Multistrada? A 1200S DVT is very easy to live with and is good for most situations, with the 1260 and now V4 a late 1200S in good fettle is a tempting proposition (as is a 1260 Pikes Peak).

9. I haven’t ridden the 999/749 but the latest SuperSport is a brilliant road bike. It likes a smooth riding style and corners, plus it’s very comfortable. A good 999/749 won’t lose money, but the SS has a great modern suite of safety features and is going to be better built, Elmore reliable.

03588F79-ADB4-4D57-81C8-A34060D74BB1.jpeg

6CE27490-C538-46B4-8229-D9DE60ACA7FD.jpeg

9B271AA8-1227-49E6-BD1D-A870882EFD39.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. My 999 is far more comfy than my 996 but it's still no arm chair. 999 is perfect for road IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I`ve owned a 1000ss and a 749. The 749 was more comfortable apart from the heated seat which got a bit toasty for me. If I had to have one again it would be the 749 just because the SS was painful for me after 30 minutes.
    The engines are totally different to use with the SS liking to be short shifted compared to the 749 that encourages you to use the revs. They are both perfect road engines IMO, enough power to be exciting but not so much that you get in to trouble.
    No comment on the new super sport as I dont think I`ve sat on one let alone ridden one.

12. Yer 749/999 will not go down in price.....that newer thing will.

• Like Like x 1
  13. In what way did you find the SS painful.....I read some folk thought the seat hard, but I'm, er, padded. :laughing: I find it tiring on the hands, but that's partly poor wrists & not bike fit. Any more to add on your recollections?

14. I had two 999's. An S then an R. Very sweet bikes, loved the R. Kicking myself to this day that I sold it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. With respect I’m not sure I can see the merit in asking somebody who clearly likes the look of a 999 whether they’ve considered a Multi. Ummm...No would be my guess ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. You are correct, Mr Moore, but since Fire3500 has had two of them, he's been very helpful. He'd like one back....but the current owner isn't obliging.....lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. I found the seat fine and will have to put it down to being in my late 50s and sports injuries. I had a 900ssie for several years in my 40s had no problems at all. That said, it was never comfortable even then, more that comfort was less important to me years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. I actually find the SuperSport more comfy than the Multistrada. The Mutley upright riding position gave great visibility but all my weight went through my spine and bum. Whereas the SuperSport has me canted forward with less weight through my back. I did break my Coccyx during my early twenties. We all have different injuries, without riding one for a few weeks it’s difficult to tell what’s what on a test ride of something new.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Found the 749/999 series bike a longish reach compared to 748/9*6

S/S with bar risers was very comfortable, relaxing ride and adequate power to have fun but none were as comfortable as the new Monster!

20. I’d get a 999

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information