1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Surge.

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Col1600, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Hi chaps, I'm usually having a peek at the threads but this time I've a question to ask. I'm sorry if it has already been covered but I'll ask anyway. So I picked up my 2012 carbon diavel last November with only 2500 miles on the clock with full service history and virtually a brand new bike without any marks on her at all, (a very happy chappy). At some point in her life she has had a full termi system including ecu fitted and a quick shifter. I have ridden the bike and found everything to be fine. Relatively smooth for big thumper and very responsive. I've added an additional 2500 odd miles to her since last November so currently around 5k. Only very recently in the last 200 miles or so I've noticed the slightest little surge in power while riding, it happens in every mode, and more noticeable at 3/4 k revs. Its very slight but noticeable, its as if your quickly rolling on and off the throttle very small amounts. It has never done this up until now, as I'm 100% sure I would have felt it. The termi ecu seems to do a good job on fueling, so I'm sure the map is good and shouldn't alter itself!!. So I'm guessing some ancillary device talking to the ecu must have changed values for some reason. So if you've come across this or have had a similar thing happen then please shoot up some ideas. Cheers in advanced...

2. 3/4k revs is very low for this kind of engine.

My rule of thumb on my 2012 Multi (same engine but without the termis) is 2nd gear in a 30mph and 3rd gear in a 40mph, and even then it isn't exactly smooth.

3. Thanks
    I do understand this, I've other v's. And 4 cylinders. The bike can easily be ridden at 4k revs as the bike has already proven itself to be well capable with its current map, ok let me clear this up its most noticeable at these revs but can also be felt at higher revs with a constant throttle. I find myself cruising at higher and higher speeds to see if I can get a sweet spot, but then realise I had better back off.

4. Iv got the same bike, same year with Termis, and its just on the 5k mark, I kinda know what you mean,I've just been out with the wife on the back (obviously extra weight I know) and round town it seems a lot more rideable in Sports mode compared to Urban where it seems it needs another gear between 1st and 2nd and Touring doesn't seem to be much different, if you get what I mean, I am hoping to get it remapped sometime this side of xmas to hopefully make it a bit more smoother to ride.I know its a Vtwin and they can be a bit lumpy but I don't think I should be going through the gears the way I've been doing

5. Thanks john and rick for your reply. Rick it maybe a slightly different problem that your having. The gearing seems fine on my bike, its just this slight oscillation on the throttle that is annoying. It happens very fast, just say you were riding at 60mph in 4th gear and you held a constant throttle on a smooth road, it feels like the bike looses and gains a few revs but very fast, within a second it can drop/rise and return, there is no noticeable loss or increase in speed but it can still be felt. Im not being over picky here, its just when the bike had been running flawless till now that you know that there is something not quite right..

6. Throttle body balance??

7. There are numerous sensors for temperature, pressure, oxygen, etc and it is always possible one of them (or the cable leading to one of them) is starting to become defective leading to inconsistent running. Better get it checked out, I should think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hi, my brother had a similar issue, but his fault came with a dash warning, and ended up being the MAP sensor, there are 2 under the tank, so he replaced both. But like Pete says, it could be anyone of a number of things, so best to plug it in at a dealer and let them run a diagnosis, but just in case, the MAP sensors are these below....Good luck
    s-l300.jpg

9. I had something very similar a while back on my DARK,turned out to be misfiring on one cylinder..Quick change of plugs cured it!.

• Like Like x 1
  10. When I got my 2012 it had around 3000 miles on it and in the service history it has a bill for a new map sensor so it seems to be quite common. If you are handy with the spanners it wouldn't hurt to change the spark plugs and see if it makes a difference before going to the main Steelers for a diagnostic check unless you know someone who can run the check for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks for replys chaps, I'm gonna drop new plugs in and see what happens.
    Cheers.

12. OK just an update, she's right back 100% once again no more problems. The cure was a simple fix, as maddog stated as well, I changed the plugs, even though the original ones only had 5000 miles to there name, but it has cured my problem, no more surge/ judder, and now cruises smoothly at low revs. If all ducati fixes were only €30 we'd all be happy!!..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information