1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 New To Me 2002 748s

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Bubble, Aug 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hi all, Ive just taken delivery of a new to me '02 748S, which I'm hoping to restore to former glory.

Despite being a 2 owner machine and extremely low mileage (paperwork supports the clock reading) it doesn't look like it's seen a spanner for at least 5 years. Judging by the dust and grime build up I'm probably the first person to take a cleaning cloth to it for nigh on 20 years!

Initial inspection is cautiously optimistic, some cosmetics need seeing to, usual fastners need replacing, clutch over has a dent in it, it's had a drop off the stand I would suggest at some point as the nose cone fairing struts have a little chip at the base, the mirrors are scuffed and the screen had a crack in it.

Annoyingly, caked on fly guts have caused a little discolouration in small areas of the fork tubes which I'll have to live with.

Will continue the teardown at the weekend to get some deep cleaning underway whilst building the list of jobs to do.

Ripping out the old Datatool alarm is top of the list!

It's a bit of a trip down memory lane for me, 20 years ago I owned a 2000 748S Biposto which I loved and always regretted selling. Even though she needs some TLC it feels great to have one back in the garage finally.

I'd love to turn it into a Monoposto at some stage once I've decided which organs to sell off to afford the prices being charged for sub frame and bodywork.

Thanks for reading. Will take some pictures with bins in shot next time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 22
  2. good luck with it mate, look forward to seeing the progress!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago with an ancient Suzuki (though its condition was far worse than your 748s).

Yesterday I rode it 300miles and had a great time and mentally concluded the project. Though I just ordered a new fuel tap and gear change as you do...

Its exciting to be in your shoes, I'm a bit jealous! Have fun with the resto.

• Like Like x 2
  4. love these threads...

5. 2.8k miles?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Very nice and looking forward to seeing work on this beauty . I’ve a 2004 748s from new and still love it

• Like Like x 2
  7. Very nice, been giving my sort of newly aquired 996 much needed TLC:upyeah:.

8. Yep and all previous MOT's, service book to back it up, I couldn't quite believe it myself. The PO fired it up for me to see that it still runs and after the last service in 2015 I asked for the key to be turned to the off position rather quickly!

• Like Like x 1
  9. A quick dose of WD40 on a rag works a treat just to see what lurks underneath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the job list grows nicely...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Datatool's been spliced in good and proper...oh and someone from the factory has written me a reminder!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  10. Stripdowntastic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. you know the question we want to know the answer to dont you...

12. Looking forward with anticipation.

13. @RC1 And what question would that be?

#13 Bubble, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  14. Me too. I am capable of no more than checking tyre pressures, but it doesn't stop me appreciating these transformations. It's always great to see a neglected beauty restored to its former glory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. how many wotsits and where you found it

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. @RC1 ah, that question. She doesn’t have a twin sister unfortunately and let’s just say it began with a £5 but not a high five. Does that help?

• Like Like x 1
  17. lovely work... must be one of the lowest mileage 748s out there

looking forward to seeing more naked pics. go and take them cam covers off now?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sexy piece of motorcycle you have there sir! love the old school instrument clusters on these, looks all “racey”

• Like Like x 1
  19. It's a bloody shame people leave them in this condition,but great stuff you've taken ownership now,GL:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information