1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tyres: Scrubbing In On The Road

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by bikermike, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Just getting some new boots fitted to the GPz (BT45s). It's ages since I had new tyres fitted to a road bike. What is the current view on how long to bed them in/scrub them in?

2. My tyre fitter says 70 to 80 miles, Andrew Pitt says 2 or 3 corners :scream:. Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (tyre fitter)

I go very easy 1st 20 miles, then start increasing lean/braking/acceleration. After 70 odd miles i'll ride 80% retard.

()

Don't know how that works on track though :-/

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. on the track it's either a razz round the paddock and a lap or two (trackday), or until the red mist descends (racing - usually after the flag drops...). I'm always impressed/terrified by the guys rolling onto circuit with the labels still on the tyres...

I just haven't needed to put road tyres on until now (we'll ignore the fact the Metzlers on the GPz are 2006 vintage and are now like oiled glass in the wet - if you can get a squirm on shellgrip out of a GPz500, it's time to replace...)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 100m is what Ive always done. (ish)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Me too. Well 80-100 miles.

7. To and from work for me. About 45 miles each way and I make sure to mix up the road types. Even if I don't need to, when I get new tyres I just take the bike to work for the day to 'ready' the tyres for the weekend. The last 15 miles of my journey home are all country lanes and by that point I'm normally 80% retard as above ;)

8. 2 corners, 1 left, 1 right. Job jobbed :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I agree, 100 metres is enough, providing it's not straight!!! :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Quite gingerly while initially pulling away and braking, maybe for a mile or so, then I just forget about it and ride as I normally would.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. @JH_1986 , Wasnt even kidding, on modern tyres, 2 corners without too much brake or gas, then normal, never had an off yet on new tyres. :upyeah::upyeah::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. That's it... you've said it now o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Had a good mate who raced BSB Superstock a few years ago, he always said the fasted lap times were gained on brand new rubber and they were Metzler Racetecs, so an out lap then a flat out lap, 2 miles ish.

14. 100miles & check how far over your scuffed the top layer on each-side before going hero.

15. On track, off warmers, is entirely different to the road. As above, one lap then 100% chat.

On the road, by 30 miles I normally have most of the tyre worn (i.e. sheen off) a bit and ready to go.

16. 100 miles , yep, in 1978 on Avon speedmasters :grinning:

17. 30 years of all year round riding, and a fair few tyres in that time, and so I still maintain, 2 dry corners .......... :cool:

#17 Wayne58, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017
  18. The only bike I ever had an issue with was the original multistrada. Seemed the way it delivered its torque, it needed decent grip. New tyres and you really did have to be careful pulling away or it would try and spit you off.

Made it an easy bike to wheelie tho ;) And @Rman saw most of them :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. My 1st Ducati was a 916 which I was proud as punch of when I fitted a brand new pair of Marchesini's and rubber to it. I looked a bit silly when I pulled away and the torque spun me a full 180° round to face the opposite way I set off from, bolt upright. :cold_sweat:

I thought nobody saw me until my neighbour commented on it a few days later :blush: Bloody Termignonis made him look out of the window. :motorcycleduc:

Ducati 4.JPG

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  20. how long ago was that though mate, cause technology and the moulding techniques move on year on year. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information