I’m lucky enough to have a detached double garage but it was in need of some TLC. The concrete floor was starting to break away in places, the walls were covered in dust and the kitchen units were falling apart. Storage wasn’t great and it was all looking a bit sad really. I finally decided that this year was the year to spruce it up a bit. I wanted to make my garage a functional space as I not only use it to store the bikes in, but I also do all my exercise in there too. I wanted to paint the walls, fit a tiled floor, skirting and have some proper storage options in the form of racking. I had a small but manageable budget and the main reason for renovating the garage was for functionality not glamour!! I’ve seen some owners garages and wow, they are lottery win good! I’ve spent the last few weekends working on the garage and although not 100% complete (new window and door to be fitted in May) and I’m very happy with the end result. Here’s how I got on…. Decided to go with a masonry paint from B&Q and I was after a nice grey which was lighter than anthracite grey. The only option I had off the shelf was a Dulux “Concrete Grey”! Thought bugger it and went with it and I must say it looks brilliant. I searched the internet for plastic (PVC) tiles and opted for The Garage Floor Tile Company. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive either, but came with great reviews so I thought why not. The tiles have an anti-slip surface which is ideal for exercising as it gives you the right amount of grip you need. I researched the chequer plate and dot type but they’re not great for exercising (being on your knees) and they’re a bastard to clean (crevasses hold all the dirt/grime). Installation is so easy, cutting is not so with a utility knife, so I opted for a mitre saw which made light work of it. Next was the skirting, I opted for timber skirting from Howdens and painted them anthracite grey to match the garage door (and soon to be installed side door and window). Dot and dabbed them on with a “No Nails” type adhesive and finished off with decorators caulk. This finished the floor off as it covered the 5mm expansion gap and shit cutting! (I have to admit here that I didn’t fit the skirting, my brother did it as he’s a joiner. I would have fucked it up, so better he did it!!) I then moved on to the storage and I opted to go with BigDug racking, I chose the BigDug400 range. Really easy to assemble (no mechanical fixings) and for piece of mind I also purchased (from BigDug) the wall fixings. I can store everything I have with ease. I wanted additional lighting so I can see what I’m doing when tinkering with and cleaning the bikes. I just bought some tube lights from Toolstation and lobbed them up. Not pretty but functional. Finally it came the bikes, the most important bit! For functionality I wanted to be able to move the bikes around easily and also have them in the air for when working on them. I decided to buy two Abba sky lifts for the RSV4 and Monster and a Constand for the CBR. The Abba stands are awesome but they are big and cumbersome, but they give you confidence that the bike is not going anywhere when fitted to it. The Constand is much lighter and very easy to operate (once you get the knack of it) but I don’t trust it 100% like I do the Abba stands. I also wanted to protect the flooring a bit so I purchased BikeTek mats which initially was a great idea until I tried to roll a stand on to it. Hmmmm, the mat kept folding and it was a nightmare!!! I’m slowly getting used to how to manage the mat situation, they look good but not how I imagined they would work in tandem with the lifters. So there it is, I’m super happy with my new stable and it’s now time to try and find the time to use them, it!!! I’d love to see your garage projects and to hear what you think of mine.