1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Clutch Issue

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Neeliedone, May 28, 2022.

1. Hey guys new to the sight and ducati. Had my multistrada just over a year with no issues. But riding home the other week and the clutch lever won't move its solid. Had to be recovered by the aa. Changed the slave to Oberon one and noticed the large nut in the clutch basket was loose. Ordered clutch and fitted everything back torque springs to recommend settings tried lever and still the same. Any idea's as I'm stumped.

2. Welcome to the forum.:upyeah:

3. How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

Welcome btw :)

4. It's a 2013 so no longer under warranty. Looks the the rod is going to its full travel but not engaging the clutch.

5. When you say Pushrod going to its full travel, is the clutch lever still locked solid or has something changed? It’s much harder being remote on the forum, but first of all it will be good to find out if it’s a hydraulic lock or if it’s a mechanical problem.

Best thing I can think of, is to carefully loosen the three clutch slave fixings each by a couple of turns maximum. Then try carefully operating the clutch lever while observing or even holding the clutch slave to see if it takes up the slack or whether the whole clutch slave body is still sloppy, if you see what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The rod moves when I pull the clutch lever as the clutch is off just now I can pull the lever in no problem and move the rod so the problem isn't the rod when everything is assembled the lever will move a couple of times then go solid and looks like the slave has travelled its full distance. When I was riding it the other week it just went solid when I went tol change gear.

7. I haven't owned your bike but i think it will be similar to everything that went before, and it could be that you have described two separate problems, but I think you have confirmed that the problem is mechanical and at the clutch plate end.

Did the Oberon kit come with a separate spacer, and do you know if your bike needs the spacer or not? It could be this is immaterial now due to age of your bike, but on previous bikes omitting the spacer would cause a lack of operating travel (you probably know this already). I know you've said it's not the pushrod, but do you know if the bearing(s) are intact in the pushrod bore/does the pushrod look unworn or is it scratched or marked up part way along? If the small needle bearing part way along the pushrod gets badly worn, the pushrod can start to seize on use, and this can be quite random.

8. Have you put the pressure plate in the correct position? There is a post with a slit in that the hole on the pressure plate with the Arrow Head has to go over. Then make sure the pressure plate is meshed with the cog splines on the clutch hub.

9E3AE2E0-DAA3-40C8-AAB0-3201625C4251.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Pictures of your assembled clutch might reveal something, if "stack" dimension is high then the outermost plate could be popping off the basket? - I think you would see this though. Also the pressure plate possibly needs orientating when fitting if it is the same as previous designs with an odd number of engaging "teeth".

10. 9D3E9524-9838-4987-AF68-EFFF32B1C953.jpeg

Struggled to get a clearer picture, but does above look right? Looks as though it’s totally different to earlier clutches.

11. Ignore my post. Read 2003 not 2013.

12. The push rod moves in and out with no issues no scoring on it either. I don't have the Spacer fitted as it doesn't need it. With it fitted it doesn't allow the cross pin to slot into the cylinder. Everything is back in place according to the manual but when it's put back together it doesn't engage and the lever is solid.

13. So it is almost certainly down to the clutch basket/springs/drum/pressure plate assy area.

All I can think for lack of specific knowledge here, is that the loose nut you found might be a relevant discovery.
    I hope someone comes along soon with up to date knowledge, wish you were nearby as i'm sure we'd work it out between the two of us.

Chances are @nelly has come across this on your clutch, and hopefully has time to comment.

#13 Chris, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. On the earlier clutches these symptoms could be caused by the pressure plate not meshing with the cogs on the clutch drum. When the plate was tightened down the pressure plate would be locked onto the drum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thanks for all the feedback really appreciated. Hopefully get to the bottom of it soon. I'm thinking of putting the old slave onto see if it does the same.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Just to confirm - is that a dry clutch or a wet one on the 1200 Multi? (Not up to date with these new-fangled machines)

17. Wet clutch multistrada 1200s 2013 model.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. @Neeliedone Assuming @Chris ’s parts diagram above is correct, by ‘large nut in clutch basket’ do you mean part no.7? If so did you retighten it to the correct torque? If that nut is working loose then the clutch drum is not fully seated within the clutch basket and the top plate will, when the clutch lever is pulled, be pushed out beyond the edge of the basket. It then won’t return which means the pressure plate can’t reseat all the plates and push the pushrod back against the slave cylinder. Thus your pushrod and slave cylinder remain fully extended, can extend no further, and cause the solid or locked feel at the lever ie you can’t pull the lever in because there’s no more movement available at the slave and pushrod.

you say you ordered a clutch and fitted everything back, but what entails the ‘clutch’ just the friction plates, or friction and steel or all of them plus basket or plus drum etc., and have they all been fitted in correctly?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Welcome and enjoy. Hope you get it sorted!

20. Just fitted the clutch without any plates or springs and no slave fitted. Pushed the rod through and the clutch moves as it should. Will fit the plates and springs and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information