1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Help 600ss 97 Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Jon Boy, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Looking at purchasing a Ducati 600 SS 97. Quite tatty but just about all the parts are there I think. 35Km.
    Engine has some oxidization and some minor damage on the fairing.
    Owner asking £1,400... is it worth it?

2. You really need to know the true condition of the bike
    Any service history?
    Are the head bolts ok, have they been replaced?
    What’s the rectifier/regulator condition, does the headlight go brighter with
    revs?
    Check the underside of the tank, near side close to the seat, it can rot through and is expensive to repair

Finally if it’s yellow walk away!

If alls good buy it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Also worth seeing if the exhaust headers will still come apart. If they don't you can't get them off the engine and new sections are NLA.

I had to saw mine up and send the pieces here
    http://www.paulgooderham.co.uk/custom-exhaust-systems
    to be remade by hand.

The 600 is always going to be seen as the least desirable model in the range but I think they are great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hi Jon Boy
    add as much on here as you can, is it running*? (as said) any recent work*/ have you got pictures*? It could be worth that much depending on* as mileage not massive.

#4 Chris, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  5. Thanks for the tips. I'm told it ran recently, but I don't know the answers to the other questions. Frame yellow but otherwise red. I have to take the plunge based on limited info... I'm tempted and thinking £1,200. Worth a gamble???? :bucktooth:

6. I've done the deal and it's mine. Will post some pics later this week when delivered. This is my first Ducati project so I may be needing some help. First problem is to work out how to repair the fairing and tank damage.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Head bolts only affected the 900’s so I’m told, so all good there!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Dan, what do you mean by getting the headers apart... do you mean removing the down pipes?

10. it looks better than i thought it would, but am known for slight rose-coloured glasses. :upyeah: it's got the single exhaust system which I prefer. Someone must have loved it at some point, to strip and paint the frame, let's hope engine is ok, a bit prone to piston slap, which can sound worse than it is.

11. I've calculated it will cost about £1k to get it back to good condition. It comes with 2 x new belts but nothing else. Next step is buying the Haynes manual and start stripping it down. Seller accepted £1,100 which included delivering it tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yes, there are three sections of tube before the silencer - the 2 into 1 collector and one pipe to each cylinder.

13. Congratulations - looking forward to seeing the rebuild - keep us posted.:)

14. So, bike turned up today and it was actually better than expected - pics attached. I do however have a couple of early questions. Haynes seem to make 2 manuals for this bike, a
    Haynes Ducati 600 750 900 Manual 1991-2005 620 2 Valve V Twins Workshop Manual (Yellow), or a
    Haynes Ducati Workshop Manual - 600, 750 and 900 2-valve V-twins '91 to '96 (Red)
    I ve assume as it is a 1996, I will go for the 91 to 96 (Red)... is this right or does it not make any difference. I have noticed a lot of the rubbers for the fairing and screen are perished or missing... can these still be purchased? Can I get a parts list?
    Lastly, I need a set of indicators, the front lenses are cracked and the rear ones are aftermarket. Again, is there a UK supplier as some people are ordering from Italy. First major job is to get the engine out, but I may just check it over and see if it actually starts.
    Looks like it will be an interesting project and will be fun getting all the corrosion and oxidization off.

20210222_150230.jpg

20210222_150242.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Is it the rubber nuts you are looking for (Wellnuts)? They are still available from Ebay or many other suppliers - I use Kayfast. Kayfast also sell the reduced head allen bolts the factory fitted to hold the fairings in place.

Do you want a clear screen to replace the yellow tinted one you have? Cheapest place I found is Wemoto.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks Dan, will check it out tomorrow. Im also in need of some mirrors but they are like hens teeth apparently... any aftermarket ones?

17. Still available, Google 'vitaloni storm'

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. I got an original mirror for my 600ss from Moto Rapido about 3 years ago :) About £50 though :cool:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information