1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nip Error

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by michel couque, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Hi all.

A relative was recently stopped by the police as unknown to them their car insurance had stopped as they had not fitted the telematics box in time.
    I was reading the NIP and I noticed they have ommitted a letter in the car registration number.
    So is this grounds to contest and they will have to drop the case or will they get spanked?

Thanks in advance

2. Get Nick Freeman on the case. Mr Technicality will get them off.

3. Out of their league budget wise

4. As far as I am aware this makes no difference. Even when are names spelt wrong etc. You can still be prosecuted.

The insurance companies box fitter would have made multiple contacts to fit the box, then the ins co would have written to say the policy has been cancelled.

They will be hit when they to try and get reinsured as a cancelled policy isn't a good thing to have.

5. Worth a carefully worded letter...briefly stating...I don't own a vehicle with this registration...it might just go away. I have had success with this.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. He states the police stopped them.
    Depending on the circumstances, the car may have been seized.

7. Yes the car was seized and released when new insurance documents were provided.

8. I would say you need to take this on the chin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I read the title and was hoping for a candid snap :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Just for you.
    nip.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. spanked..so in real terms they were driving around with no insurance, ( ignorance is no defence) having not complied with the directions of the insurance company, which im sure would have been communicated at the beginning and on how many subsequent occasions? which were ignored, before the insurance company terminated the insurance and advised them of that fact.

there are numerous stated cases around NIP and typos, the offence will still stand. Its cost them the recovery of the car and whatever the court imposes especially if they contest it.

was the offender a young driver having passed their test in the last two years.......6 points could be good by licence!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Insurance companies can and do make mistakes, they cancelled my daughters policy on the 23rd of November and sent a letter out that day with their intentions, she received the letter 2 days later on the 25th, she was driving around unaware for 2 days without insurance, long story as to why they cancelled but it was something to do with them not receiving her ncb.

13. Hi all
    It is correct to say the onus is on the policy holder to make sure cover is in place. We can comment that only one email was received to say cover would could cease if the telematics were not fitted by then, but silly young people think they know better and can beat the system. Minor errors do not affect the NIP, only if it is totally wrong info ie name and address, etc.
    So this silly young person will have to take the 6 points and fine and hopefully learn. Thank goodness there were no accidents etc that happened.

14. This is one of the many things I hate about insurance companies. I'm sure they can tell when you made your last claim, it has to be on a database somewhere. So why do they need you to provide paper evidence you've not made a claim.
    The only thing I can think of is its to try to leave them a possible escape route in the event you may make a claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Insurance companies employ the "burning hoops of fire" approach to parting with their money. You gotta jump through those hoops.

This would be fine, if motor insurance as a normal business, subject to the free market and market forces. But motor insurance is a government-enforced racket/cartel, and so this is not fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. A bit like flying with ryanair......you know the rules, go outside them and you pay heavily!... operator error simple as that..insurance companies make money not people happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information