1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT No Central Stand And No Front Paddock Stand. How To Do It?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rover, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hi folks,

My biggest regret when bought the multi: I had a choice between the central stand or heated grips fitted with the deal on the bike.
    Went for the HG and by the time winter came it proved useless on the way to NEC Birmingham. Had to get a pair of heated gloves.

Bought a constand rear paddock stand for the jobs in the chain and rear wheel, but now that I need a new front tyre I really do not want to get another bloody stand for the front. Maybe if sell the rear stand I would fit a central stand and work out a way to remove the front wheel, but I am actually looking an alternative way. Got some ratchet straps but don't think the beam in the garage are strong enough. Also would't know where to "fish" the bike from without causing stress to any parts.
    Have not removed the engine pans/covers to see if I can just put a jack straight into somewhere.

Has anyone done it without a paddock stand?
    Would appreciate your suggestions.

2. I think you're a bit stuck if you can't use a beam with your straps.

I use one of these in conjunction with the centre stand on my 1260. Bought the stand for use with my MV Turismo which is a lot lighter. Trusted the stand used with a rear paddock stand on that but given the weight of the MTS not sure I would TBH.

Needed a bigger diameter stem insert for the MV, same size fits the Mutley as well. This I had to buy from Ghostbikes separately.

3. Thanks Bumpkin,
    Yes, I am trying to find a way to use my straps. Saw a guy using a aluminium ladder over his sport bike to use a ratchet strap, but it really didn't look stable or strength enough. Can't imagine trying to lift the 230Kg of the multi.

4. There's a flat on the bottom of the engine where the old filter goes, but I decided I wouldn't lift the bike by that alu engine case. Without the centerstand, you're stuck to a front hoist. But if you drop it, the subsequent loss of a mirror, handguard and maybe other parts will have paid for a centerstand or a front end pit stand. Personally, I like having the centerstand. Good to have on the road if doing a tire inflation, too.

5. That's a good point Shorton. I chose the HG over the central stand in the past thinking of the weight as well but started reconsidering fitting one.

6. Best solution IMHO is to fit a centre stand. My reasoning is twofold.
    1. Being on the centre stand is very easy to lift the front - just put something under the belly to keep it up. On mine the front can be lifted up by putting some weight in the top box - is very well balanced.
    2. You can use the centre stand anywhere not just in your garage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FWIW, it does not weigh much. Just replaced mine where a weld failed so I remember handling it.

It's a PITA to get the double spring attached though. I've recently seen a "kit" for sale that has the stand, and a side frame gripper for a good bit less than the factory parts out of the parts catalog. Presumable the same parts as it's a Ducati "kit". Don't know if a supplier over there will have it or not, but a quick Google ought to find it.

Like this:
    https://www.pure-ducati.com/p-4635-ducati-mts1200-center-stand-96638810b.aspx

Also see them on eBay periodically. A fellow different forum member gave me theirs for my first one.

Be sure whichever route you go if you get the centerstand, you get the springs (2), the peg it hooks to on the frame, and the 2 screws.

8. Abba with a front lift on it works on my 748 and 999
    https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=front-lift-arm&pid=42
    £168 for the Superbike package 2 kit may be a bit expensive but when you change the bike you get a new set of bobbins to fit the next one (if they are different) or if you have more than 1 bike just get the extra bobbins

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Plus one for the ABBA stand with lift arm. I wanted something which would work on more than just the multi and it's cheaper than the centre stand. It's a bit longer to set up though I guess.

10. Centre stand. All day long. So easy to work on cos of good bike weight distribution to balance. You do have to remove it to change oil filter tho, but worth it. Never use side stand with luggage .the top bends.

11. I use the Abba Stand
    PS I've never had a centre stand for years and managed OK

12. IMHO fit a centre stand. But, it wont be suitable for removing the front wheel, its likely the front will only just be off the ground, so front and rear stand needed anyway to remove the front wheel IME. Sure, it can be done, but high risk manoeuvre needed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hi Sorry to correct you. Front comes out nicely. Very secure. Even up on ramp/bench. It does help to have loaded top box on also. Hope that helps.

14. Get center stand; ride bike over ground with slab on it. Then deploy center-stand on slab zone. This will mean you can wedge from engine zone carefull up with decent wooden block or jack. Meaning no need for much faffing when dealing with front-wheel change.

15. Take it to the dealer you can have a coffee and look at the bikes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. If you can strap the rear upright securely, you can use any type of small jack under the engine front area. I use a block of wood between the jack and engine. I loosen all the bolts some before jacking up.

17. So, strap this, lift that, balance the other, block of whatsit....sounds a faff to me ;)

I have done it, just there are better and. Not expensive (and safer and quicker) options.

18. I use the centre stand and a 'J' stand. This is a front prop that goes under the front header, and stops the bike tipping forward.
    I'm sure it was made by ABBA, I bought it about 20 years ago with my ABBA stand, but just looked and its not on their site now.

I've always used this on my multistrada and the st4s before it, never needed anything else to get the front wheel out.

Personally I would buy the centre stand, and use it for this even if you don't fit it for general riding. You will always be able to sell it on afterwards if you don't let it go with the bike when you sell that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. buy a front paddock stand on ebay for £15

Do Not Sell My Personal Information