1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Incident Yet I Am Asked To Fill In A Claim Form - Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Lucazade, May 29, 2018.

1. Hi all,

Few days ago I have clipped a pedestrian.

Full story is he stepped out from between cars while I was filtering straight in to me. No time to react. He had pedestrian crossing 30-40 meters up road and light for pedestrians was red at a time (I know i just set off from there). I did not come off, he fell on his ass as he lost balance.
    He started kicking me and punching me saying I almost killed him, that I have no right to be where I was (no right to filter).

Off duty police officer did not see accident but seen where I stopped and that he was attacking me. Another witness told the cop he stepped out right in to me.
    Anyhu after some details and strong words from police he was sent away while I got i cident number.

I reported it to my insurance company as an FYI no claim intended and reported assault to police just in case. Latter was closed.

Now 2 weeks later my insurance company sent me a claims form to fill in. I called and asked if 3rd party maid a claim they said no but said I still have to fill it in and if I do not and they make a claim they will settle it without contacting me.

Should I fill it in or send letter saying that I will provide details only if the 3rd party makes a claim?

It feels to me like them wanting more details to later use against me for premium purposes.

Any advice?

2. The insurance company already has you marked for an increased premium as a result of your FYI contact. Nothing now can prevent that.

I would probably just fill in the claim form.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yep, reporting it to the insurers already gives you the dreaded ‘accident’ mark. That’s on your record now for the next X years. It’s a shit business. Many people simply don’t report unless a third party is claiming.

Unfortunately my wife has had 2 accidents, both her fault, in the past 6 months. Looking forward to renewing her car insurance :rolleyes:

4. I know they have me now flagged. My thinking is if I give them more details maybe not them but other insurance companies might adjust premium even more (or less) based on extra info.

What they know now is he stepped in to me, I did not crash, he started beating me up so was obviously OK, police took details, I do not want to make claim.

5. The insurance companies don't really care about the details. Their secret scrolls tell them that if anything happens to you - pedestrians, rear-end shunts, falling aircraft, anything - you are an increased risk.

If anyone would like to try to convince me that details of Lucasz's bad luck won't make their way around all the main insurance c̶a̶r̶t̶e̶l̶ companies, feel free.

6. As said, too late re: declaration and no point in obstructing them recording the incident if you plan on staying with them.

7. I dont think it makes much difference because you have already reported it so its a mark that you have been involved in an accident. Most people I know would not report it unless they know the third party is going to make a claim.

8. Really? Just reporting with no cost? Fleecing bar stewards... Every day's a school day. And it's 3 years btw. I know this because my wife also had a small crunch a couple of years back (reversed into a bus. That's right, a fekkin big red bus... ffs) so I asked them how long we are caned over it for.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Yep. Bunch of crooks. Had our car hit about 6 years ago, by some drunk driving home from the pub. Had to state that as an accident for years because apparently having your unattended car hit makes you more likely to have a future accident. Don’t get that logic myself as I thought the ‘bad luck comes in threes’ thing was an old wive’s tale and not something insurance can use to calculate premium. Maybe if I told them I’d broken a mirror, they’d up the premiums for the next 7 years bad luck I’m about to have :rolleyes:

#9 JH_1986, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ha ha, probably not far off the mark. It is infuriating dealing with them. They shaft you every which way...:mad:

11. Well will fill it in.

On a separate note as GDPR is here requested copy of all my details from CUE and MIAFTR databases.

CUE holds all info on all incidents, accidents, sicknesses that relate to you. It is used in FRAUD prevention.
    MIAFTR is database of written off vehicles.

12. Put in a complaint for assault :thinkingface:

13. Yep. Sue the chap for assault that'll cover the extra premiums for the duration, after all it was his fault.. Insurance companies - bloody robbers!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information