1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Key Detected

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Moses, May 5, 2016.

1. If you're riding an X Diavel I recommend carrying a spare CR2032 battery. Cost 99p.
    I had a test ride and after 100+ miles stopped to fill up. When I went to start the bike "No key detected" was displayed on the dash followed by two red lights either side flashing.
    I went through the starting procedure numerous times, even walking away from the bike and returning to see if the bike would change its mind and recognise the key.

AA called out - decided to disconnect the battery to see if this would reboot everything. An hour later after removing the bellypan covers to get to the battery, disconnect it then reconnect and reinstall all the covers - still nothing.

Genius idea - lets check the battery in the key fob. 5 minutes later with a new battery in the fob - BINGO. Key detected and bike starts as normal.

Thought I would share this so you can have a laugh at my expense but possibly save yourself a lot of hassle if you ever have "No Key Detected".

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Bummer! Amazing that a five-figure motorcycle is floored by a 99p battery in the key. They say this is progress.....:grinning:

So will you be buying one? Have to say, I'm partial to the X Diavel even though I prefer faired bikes myself.

3. I've read this a number of times with the multistrada & I'd of thought a quick call to the dealer to find out the PIN-code would of got demonstrator back to base!?!? As part of your tool kit under the seat one or two well wrapped CR203 batteries are a invaluable item to carry.

4. No, although I did thoroughly enjoy the ride. Suspension set up is very hard so jarred my back a few times, I thought it was a lot smoother and handled better than the original Diavel. I can't really afford one at present so will stick with my Hyper for another year.

5. my ms (2013) gives a "low battery" message on the dash before the battery gives up on the fob

6. You can start the bike without a key using the PIN. This will get you going again so no need to carry batteries really is there?

7. How do you key in the PIN if the Dashboard won't come on?

8. Press the button on the top of the headstock
    preess the button on the top of the headstock

9. I pressed every single button, inc the one on top of the headstock, multiple times, - nothing. Just the two red flashing lights.
    I was in contact with the dealer and can assure you I tried everything as I had nearly an hour to kill whilst waiting for the AA.

I would still recommend carrying a spare battery as they are inexpensive and hardly bulky.

10. If at any time you press the button by the headstock (holding it down for a few seconds) and the dash fails to come on, that is a serious fault which needs to be fixed - regardless of the state of the battery in the active key.

You do realise that the active key also acts as a passive key, even if its battery is flat, so that the bike can be started anyway? The aerial coil is under the front of the seat on a Diavel, by the way, so the key would have to be positioned very close to it if it is to work passively.

#10 Pete1950, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  11. I took the seat off and positioned the key as instructed but the bike would not start.

What fault are you suggesting - bike worked fine once the battery in the fob was changed?

12. If the battery in the active transponder key is flat, the bike should start using the key as a passive key, placing it close to the aerial; and the bike should also start by pressing the button near the headstock and inputting the PIN. From your posts, it would appear that
    1. Using the active transponder key failed because of a flat battery ; and
    2. Using it as a passive key failed; and
    3. Using the PIN system failed.
    If that is the case, and all three options failed simultaneously, then I am suggesting the bike involved has some very serious faults. Even if the bike started after the battery in the active transponder key was replaced, it still has those serious faults and they still need to be fixed. If it is not your bike, then it is not your problem, of course.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I'm so glad both my bikes have normal keys. Sold all this keyless nonsense, and dos the X also have the electronic steering lock? Another thing that will go wrong.

14. No doubt your car(s) also have metal keys which you have to poke into physical keyholes in the doors - no remotes for you then. Another thing to go wrong.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information