1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Limit Helmet Checks

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 3, 2017.

1. According to FB NL are now checking helmets for gold ACU stickers. Its probably due to the unfortunate death end of last week on one of their TDs.

Anyway, gold sticker helmet or no track time at the moment.

I'll be using my old AGV by the looks of it.

2. Probably a good thing, however fake stickers are easily found on flea bay. IMO back protectors should be compulsory on TDs, why take safety compromises when riding at high speeds.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Even geunine ACU stickers have been handed out freely.

Did nt MCN once pose as a middle east helmet manufacturer and manage to get agreement to buy 1500 ANY stickers before any testing had taken place?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wow, makes a mockery of safety “standards”.

5. Doesn't just. Every since reading the article I have given little credit to an ACU golf sticker

6. Was the unfortunate death a result of a sub standard helmet?

7. Don't know, probably yo early to say, wasn't long ago, he was hit by another bike.

My Shoei came from France hence the lack of ACU sticker. Doesn't mean it's not safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mine has no sticker as it came from the Netherlands.

9. Then, according to trackday FB group, NL won't let you on.

It's been in their TnC's since I started TDs, I guess they are just enforcing it now.

10. NL run European days where local guys will join who probably won’t have the ACU sticker unless they bought the lid in the U.K.

I wonder how they will handle these cases?

11. No trackday company has ever checked any of my lids - ever!

My father in laws shuberth doesn’t have a gold sticker but they’ve always been aware and always said it’s fine

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I recall seeing that in their t&c's a few years ago.
    I phoned to check before the trackday and pretty useless antipidian told me "don't worry about it mate".

13. This was NL's announcement on the accident:
    <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...itstrackdays/posts/1981897571837744&width=500" width="500" height="746" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

It's with a heavy heart we are tasked to announce that unfortunately there was a incident last Friday 29th September at Mallory Park which resulted in a very unusual situation that resulted in a tragic loss of a life.

A highly skilled member of the Kidderminster Advanced Bikers and known customer Chris Pagett, was taking part on our trackday in middle group in perfect conditions. On that afternoon 59 year old Chris had simply slightly over ran the circuit at John Cooper Esses and over ran on to the grassed area which caused him to slide off his Aprilia RSV4 Tuono. Unfortunately Chris slid across the grass, back on to the circuit and was unavoidably collected by a on coming bike despite the riders best attempt of evasive actions, which also resulted in that rider to come off.

Circuit marshals reacted instantly and paramedics attended the scene within moments. A helicopter was requested to ferry the injured rider to hospital. Sadly on arrival to hospital Chris lost his life due to injuries sustained while taking part in activity that Chris was so passionate about.
    We apologise that we delayed announcing any facts until we had express consent from Chris's wife as we wished not to cause any further distress to Suzi or Chris's family.

No limits and it's staff wish to convey our sincere deepest heartfelt sympathies and condolences to Chris's wife, Suzi their son, family and friends at this extremely sad and heart breaking time.

14. Trackday Addicts FB Group original post on 2nd Oct:

Just a quick Helmet Heads up.
    No limits stopped me (and others) from going on track today due to helmet not having a complete ACU gold sticker on it. It was worn through where my jacket collar had rubbed it. It was a Soumy lid so was decent quality.
    Needless to say I shot into Louth to buy a new lid.
    I know it’s safety etc so no need to harp on.

This is just a tip to thoroughly check your helmets for any discrepancies.
    As it may cost u a day or two.
    You can buy authentic stickers on eBay.

Edit to Post to make it clear for them fuckers who don’t get why I placed it here......

fair play to No limits for staying firm and sticking to the rules. For the record have no issue with that. [​IMG]
    This was a prompt to check your gear

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Maybe they should do a system whereby the helmet model is certified and entered into an online database they can check, and no sticker is needed. Seems ridiculous that an ACU certified helmet shouldn’t be allowed because it was purchased online from a country that doesn’t need (and supply) the sticker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Any forum member willing/able to make stickers?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Terrible news. Really unfortunate and sad.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. In the 80s when I started racing and doing practice days (long before track days) our helmets were always checked by the scroots and we weren't allowed to race unless the ACU gold sticker was on them; then when deemed OK, the scroots added their own sticker. That process continued after I stopped in the mid-2000s.

I believe the same applies to cars - it certainly did in 1998 when I drove a Formula Ford at Brands.

BTW, the proper gold sticker should be perforated into four sections so removal and transfer to another helmet supposedly can't be done.

19. The problem with going down this route is that if they check a helmet and another helmet-related injury occurs, do NL become liable? Where do you stop? Check leathers? Check gloves for a wrist fastener (as per ACU rules)? Check that a back protector is fitted and is of suitable quality? What about checking the bike itself is safe? Chain adjusted properly? Tyres not worn? Tyre pressures correct?

Yes, it's a mild case of Whataboutism, but once you open the Pandora's box of what you check, you can't put it all back in again...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information