1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No V5

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Cream_Revenge, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Why do so many track bikes come without a v5?

2. Probably cos they are based on insurance write offs not allowed back on road. Or worse!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dubious history, bistas, Cat B?

4. But wouldn't you just apply for a v5? It's only a few quid.

Can you still check its not nicked like a normal road bike going off the engine and frame numbers?

5. Depends. Quite a few will be race bikes from day one (T3 cup, triumph-options, gixer 600 cup, R6 virgin cup etc) some also for road racing (my gixer was, then registered later, some will be write offs and no one has bothered to get to while others will be bitsa bikes, e.g. my K5 1000 had a frame from EIRE.

Some will be nicked and ringed. Don't touch a Cat B bike, apart from the nicked ones the rest are OK.

google isitnicked, its a free site to check VIN and/or reg :)

• Useful Useful x 3
  6. You can't have a V5 with a Cat A or B.

Dubious history.....Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

You could always apply for one with a bike made from bits, but it would have to have all of the road going accoutrements? Plus if it's only going to be used on the track, not much point for the hassle and expense.

7. No. You need to have an MOT and be insured, which you can do on the VIN, then get a statement of conformity (if its a regular bike like Triumph) or it gets inspected. Bit of a ballache but worthwhile for some.

8. So, can you check if a bike was a cat B?

As long as not nicked or Cat B its ok?

9. Yep. Lots do sell Cat B, but IMHO I wouldn't buy one. If you can check the vin, you can check if its on the register but, unless you pay for an HPI check, you won't get any insurance write off info.

If you are looking for one, trackday addicts sell loads (but be careful!) or motoforum.net for the better bikes :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Yeah, I've done it with a Lambretta I made from bits, insured it on the VIN, got an MOT, off the the local DVLA office for an inspection and...bingo, an age related plate.

But if the intention is just to use it on the track, why bother, is my point really.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Some bikes are built from new frames and never registered so no need for a v5. A lot of motox bikes don't have v5's.

12. I started off with the 1st pic and ended up with the 2nd. :) I was quite proud of that little build. :cool:

SL380190.JPG

SL380882.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  13. I like your Lambretta.Very nice.Many years ago I had a 65 GT200,which I ruined by taking it out to 225.It was never the same again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Don't you need the VIN as well as the reg to reapply for the V5?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information