1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nolan N87 Helmet Or Xlite 903?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by El Toro, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Up until last year I’ve always had Arai helmets (last 4 have been RX7GP’s or RX7V’s) but last year I bought a XLite 803 ultra carbon to use on the V2 as I couldn’t justify to myself the stupid prices Arai were now charging. And so my 5 year old Arai RX7V became the helmet I used with my scrambler.

Given that the Arai is now 5yo and has seen better days, and as I’m now wanting to use a Cardo comms system for when I go touring with friends on the Scrambler I think I’ve decided on getting a new helmet too that the Cardo Packtalk Bold will fit into nicely. And I don’t want to pay a fortune for a new lid.

So having done some research I think I’ve got it down to either the Nolan N87 or an XLite 903 (and yes I know they really are both made by Nolan).

So I’m after some real life reviews on both and others you may think should be considered please (max budget £350ish).

I’m particularly interested in fitting for comms systems, drop down visor, Double D chinstrap vs Ratchet straps, general value for money etc etc.

I look forward to reading your reviews:)

2. You may be able to get a Schubert C3 Pro for that sort of money. I've been so happy with them I've had versions of them for the last 4 helmets (14 years).

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've had a N87 for the last 2 years, got a really good price at a bike show. I think for the money they are really good. You always feel better in a Shoei, Arai etc. Probably because your mind tells you their better to justify spending £££. But I like the N87, drop down visor is good. Did think was too tight, but always surprised how your head beds in. Have no experience with fitting comm's in. Only thing I would say, I would of rathered a DD strap and think the vent aren't as good as others.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thanks but I don’t want a flip up lid. :)

5. Subject to fit, HJC RPHA 11. Not sure about the comms bit though as not my thing.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an X-Lite over a Nolan unless it was discounted.
    Nolan's are excellent value for money and well finished. As you say, made in the same factory.

Otherwise Arai Debut. A 'bargain' as Arais go.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I can’t help with the specific helmet but I did buy a X803rr carbon last year for a good price having always had Arai and shoei, I think it’s pretty good, it’s wearing well, the visor mechanism is superb, the only criticism so far is that the visors are quite expensive

7. Think I’m about to pull the trigger on the Nolan N87 and the Packtalk Bold to go with it :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. I have a soft spot for HJCs…

Have a look at the HJC RPHA 70, would fit the bill nicely for you El T

09395472-C7BB-4C81-A1F8-25449D6EC09D.jpeg 86289B92-451F-40F8-8941-D789D97E0934.jpeg E59D08C9-3FF0-4163-B853-205C214BB72A.jpeg

Drop down internal sun visor, normally comes with two visors an a pinlock, I got this one for about £220 if I remember correctly?
    Quite a quiet lid as well, there’s a good review on YouTube,..champion helmets, test one on the road thoroughly, noise comes out at 97 db, same as a Shoei GT air 2, for comparison a Shoei X spirit 3 is 103db, a lot louder.
    I love the visor clip on HJCs, and the “ rapid fire” visor mechanism is the quickest and easiest I’ve seen on any helmet.
    When I first bought my 899 I had a HJC RPHA 10, then I upgraded?? To a Shoei X spirit 3, ..not terribly impressed tbh, I think they’re worth about half of what they cost, mine is plain black..£599 .ridiculous really, so “meh” about it I’ve just bought the HJC RPHA 11 to replace the Shoei

ABC7F805-AC75-4A83-8325-6BBA840E2A61.jpeg 2B4736C4-4DB8-4F7A-B443-604AC0B19542.jpeg 62CC5F15-D676-4849-BA28-74763E895D31.jpeg

PIM carbon matrix shell, stupid light at 1315 grams, clear visor, tinted visor, pinlock and helmet bag….£250
    IMO..twice the helmet the Shoei is for half the price :upyeah:

Just remembered, I think Sportsbikeshop Leeds or Get Geared Leeds are doing helmet test rides where you can try the helmet you fancy before you buy it, might be worth investigating?

Good luck with the search

#8 Poucher, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Should have added @El Toro , that the RPHA 70 Is a sport touring lid, it’s designed for the more upright position, not a sport bike tuck, I use it on my Ninja 1000SX when we’re having weekends away and it’s great for that :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Poucher,is the RPHA 11 internal shape the same as the RPHA 10+?
    Currently have the RPHA 10 and it's the comfiest helmest I've had.

11. More or less I think so, quite small fitting for the size, at first you don’t think your going to get your head in them but they give quite a bit after a few days

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information