1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Coast 500

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Nigel Machin, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Well, me & the missus have bit the bullet, NC500 organised over Easter this year, heading up to Dumfries on the Friday, Inverness Saturday, John o groats on Sunday, tonge on Monday, Lochinver on Tuesday, Loch Gairloch on Wednesday, popping over to Skye on Thursday, Loch Lomond on Friday and Lake District On Saturday on the way home. All accommodation booked, hoping for some decent weather although we have gear for any eventuality, really looking forward to it. Any advice or special points of interest we should aim for, All greatfully received
    Nige

#1 Nigel Machin, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Head to Dumfries first, the rest of the break will fall in to place.
    Have a good un. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Edited accordingly:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. If the weather plays ball you’ll have a blast. If it doesn’t wrap up well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hope it goes well

6. I have a slight interest in doing this but as it is such a long way to get up there, then I can't see any way of doing it without motorwaying it to the start. Effectively, France and Ireland are closer and I never need see a motorway to get to France - unless a f*ck up and have miss the ferry, ensuing a dash to another port!

How are you proposing to get to Dumfries?

7. Will bite the bull it on day 1 and travel up the M6, from home it’s 197 miles, there after nice steady days with some nice hotels in the mix, breaking up the trip home with a stay in the lakes :)

8. Here's my tuppence-worth. It will take you longer than you think to get from Dumfries to Inverness and if you are going to use the A9 from Perth, it's a boring ride with average speed cameras that make it a real pain.
    If you can, add another day and from Dumfries head to Blairgowrie then take the A93 over to Braemar (try the newly refurbished Fife Arms Hotel for an overnight stay). Then head up north through Strathdon, (Tomuntoul), to Grantown On Spey then up over Dave Moor and onto Inverness. The rest is easy... but again the distances take longer than you will think due to the roads. If you get the weather it's brilliant. If it's raining...it's brilliant but wet!! Enjoy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. i'm doing it in june, but its 310 miles to my first stop in kielder forest on the way up. can wait, hopefully the multi will love it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hills, sky, sea, rain. And repeat... Fuck that. Enjoy, at least you wont have the midges at Easter :):upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Absolutely agree with Esbee. If you plan on doing Dumfries to Inverness, remember that is about 230 miles and not a great route (if doing A9), if you're only doing 197 motorway miles on day 1. And this is not a very good run, as mostly trunk roads. Easily do-able, but not that much fun. If you want to go round the Cairngorms to the east, happy to recommend the Loch Kinord Hotel at Dinnet.

Whereas Lochinver to Gairloch is about 2 hours direct, albeit a nice run. Great pie shop at Lochinver. Both hotels in Tongue are OK. Do Culloden, if you can.

Easter is a bit early and you might want to avoid the high roads in the Cairngorms, or you could go over Glenshee. Could be cold - my wife uses an electric jacket if it's wet in May - remember it's worse on the back. You could consider going from Stirling to Callander on A84 and either Loch Tay to A9 at Pitlochry or around Loch Ness via Fort William on day one to make it a a bit nicer, but this will depend on weather. You might want to have short cuts ready if weather turns nasty.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I've toured Scotland a good few times on big suzukis

My route (purely for pleasure) from dumfries was over kirkcudbright, drop onto coast road at ardrossan, follow cost road.. Largs, greenock then up the a82 all the way up to inverness.... I used to allow a full day from dumfries to inverness

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I think I'm going to do the NC500 this year. Maybe July time, so hopefully the weather will be favourable. :sun:

Had a few mates do it, but I never have, so hopefully I'll get plenty of good advice. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  14. What bike are you taking?

15. I've done this route and variations for the last two summers. 2017 on a ktm 990 and 2018 on a newly purchased 999..Last year was a real blast...my most on point advice is that it will rain at times, but then could easily be beautifully sunny later in the day...for this reason I would recommend multiple pairs of gloves. Ironically the Northern coast has better weather than the Western.

16. It’ll be the Hyperstrada

17. Day 2, quick stop off at Pitlochry before heading up to Inverness. NC500 kicks off in earnest tomorrow, well we set off dressed for all of what Scotland can throw at us only to “de-robe” in 20 odd degree temperatures, it’s raining now in Inverness but due to clear up for ride time tomorrow
    8DBCC0B2-B42D-4BA3-A006-B67B56658882.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  18. Did it last year on the Tuono in the pissing rain and still loved it. Booked again for July this year, I just hope my new Beemer arrives in time

• Like Like x 1
  19. We are in Thurso, incredible place. Weather has turned a bit today but still amazing scenery. Stop off at Strathay beach for a great view and Bettyhill for a coffee. In Thurso the Y Not does nice food and coffee.

Go safe and enjoy!

DB99BBCE-97E5-40A6-B894-7135E8E35E86.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. i did it last saturday. smoo cave is well worth a wee look see

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information