1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton Deposit Info, It's Demise & It’s New Owners

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by John W, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Caldwell today I believe
    FB_IMG_1540240837834.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. The Proclaimers are aging well!

3. I'm not sure which 2 they are :yum

4. Interesting that my posts with the carbon has 2 likes and no dislikes, whilst the chrome has 4 likes and 2 dislikes.
    Looks like the chrome is likely to be a bit of a marmite bike, whilst people neither love or hate the carbon.

I appreciate the chrome is now only a wrap rather than paint, and any bike could be wrapped, but for me it is different.
    The carbon is really nice but just doesnt have quite the same wow factor to me. Maybe that is the appeal to some, stealth.
    The picture above from Cadwel underwhelmed me, it could be any bike in track bodywork. I think its missing something. Maybe some big JPS gold lettering :p

5. I must admit I’ve been considering a JPS paint scheme if I don’t go chrome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yum yum.
    Now to see how quickly they can churn them out.
    And of course how rideable / reliable they are.

7. I would have one in a flash if I could afford it. All black carbon for me, I really don't like the chrome version. Plain carbon is just a blank sheet of paper just waiting for a touch of paint. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. I wish Norton all the very best, but feel that somethings not quite right.
    Only time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. not quite right in what sense - the bike or the company ?
    PM if you prefer ;)

The only thing that really concerns me is the fact the bores are in the top crankcase half, in the same manner as the Aprilia engine. That potentially means if you get worn / scored bores later in its life (for those of us that like to keep their bikes a while) that will mean a new top crankcase half rather than a set of bores. I hope they are either lined, or very well coated.
    I've not seen any horror stories on this for the Aprilia engines, just concerns me from an engineering point of view.

Their new superlight looks nice too. God knows how they are going to build all these bikes in the way they currently work (no real production line in the true sense).

10. I think announcing the V4, taking deposits and subsequently delaying delivery dates by over 12 months was not great - still, they took them to a private function at Donington that had a free bar!

I looked into getting a Commando a few years back and came across too many horror stories to take things further.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah. After TT this year I considered a Naked but too many stories made me wary. I like the Atlas very much, pretty bike indeed. Will watch and hope that it's a soaring success.

12. I see on twatter that the first batch of SS's have been presented to their owners :cool:

13. I ordered a V4RR in November 2016.I knew it would be a long wait,what with testing development getting it through euro regs.etc...Phoned sales office up a couple of weeks ago had a chat and ended up being offered an SS as someone had pulled out of an order.Made a decision that weekend and have upgraded to the SS and paid up.Full carbon spec including wheels and managed to get some detail extras sorted.Carbon wheels are 3.5k,Piega aluminium 2k so having some Piegas as track wheels.They take 1.5 days to build and have 3 on build line at any one time.Because I have paid up get mine in March but not fussed if it’s April......and I will use it on the road with the odd Donington track day.

• Like Like x 11
  14. Nice one Chris, that was possibly the same cancelled order I got offered.
    Looking forward to hearing your views once its arrived :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. So has anyone read 'Mostly Contrived News' to see what the review was like? I've lost confidence that they are really ever prepared to be honest with their views (as with most of the mags tbh these days) but am interested as to whether it's very Panigale V4 like or more like the Aprilia V4.

16. Will let you know.I have always been open minded about Norton as it’s a small concern compared to the large production companies with huge development departments.What a lot of people don’t seem to understand is how small Norton are as a company and what they have achieved.If it has glitches...so what,what bike hasn’t!! Just back a British company producing one of the best modern bikes ever designed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Trying to make my mind up for the last few months, should be coming into some inheritance soon and was thinking about a 900 bevel which has been a major "want" since I first saw one in the eighties but having drooled over the Norton for ages at the show I'm sorely tempted by its stunning looks and detail. Which ever way it goes it's going to be a keeper, just really difficult to decide.

18. Difficult one that having a cult status bike such as a 900 bevel or a future cult bike like the Norton.Which ever way your money should be safe!!!

19. I Love it....take note Triumph....that is what developement is....not producing a line of bikes based on "the look" of 40 years ago...if i had the money...definately, in a heartbeat (RSV4 factory owner here). I hope they sell them all....i look forward to seeing some getting thrashed on the mountain at the TT (along with the ones that are actually being raced)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information