1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kr1000 Replica Build...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Exige, May 15, 2013.

1. As replica's of a KR1000, nice but wrong shape - have you been to finm's school of political mischief picking the bits out of context to suit you goals :D:Angelic:

2. impossible. i aint a brexiter.
    anyhoo. off topic, back to the otters.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I didnt know otters went eek.I will look into this further.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. They do :Finger:
    :Writing: I think...

5. Yorkshire otters go by 'eck.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. All your own welding?

7. No, I can't trust my own welding! Chad @rcv4 did the welding for me on his fab frame jig over in planet Hull, I made the frame. bent the tubes etc :D

8. I sold welding equipment years ago and they sent me to BOC on a week long course to learn everything from cutting torched,mig,rod welding etc.The old boy running the course totally gave up on me cos everything I touched instantly turned into a cutting torch,splattering and starting fires all over the place! I've never tried or touched welding since but I'm full of admiration every time I see quality welding that flows evenly

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Do not be too hard on yourself mate , a week long course is not going to make a welder out of any person , may teach the basics of any one type but that's about it .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Thanks chap! But I think if they had kept me there a year you wouldn't want to stand,sit,climb or ride anything I'd welded - wouldn't end well

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. That was my concern too :D

12. Finally sorted the headstock bearings - the lower race fitted 4mm sub flush so my new bearing with pre fitted seal wouldn't work. Had a 4.2mm spacer turned at work to allow the new bearing to sit 0.2mm proud of the lower headstock tube, you can see it in the photo under the bearing race. This allows the seal to seat correctly. On removing the old bearing I found the race was 1mm thicker than the new one, so my spacer was 1mm too thin :Facepalm:
    It was either a new 5.2mm thick spacer made this week or filing 1mm off the bottom of the headstock tube - decided on the latter so I could get the bearings fitted today. Even simple jobs are sometimes a pain, but it's done now and I have the final measurement to start designing the new steering stem.

IMG_2248.JPG IMG_2253.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  13. Well not doubting you abilities at all but hand filing 1mm evenly round
    well good on you if you hand filed the radius evenly , ( but if it just the housing it is a little more accommodating ), good on yer , Don't know if you ever served your time in any of the engineering disciplines but hand filing was the bain of many an apprentices day .

• Like Like x 1
  14. If you look at the outer shiny bit this is where I took 1mm off - it's in fresh air in the assembly. I power filed it then finished off by hand so cheated a little. Got it within 0.1mm flush when measured with very-nears, but there was no real need to be accurate with this face - I just like it neat :)

15. A " very _near " , I like it , almost as good as " power file " , you cud be an inguneer if you tried hard

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  16. Oh, you're for it now TT. Attack a man's political beliefs, but not his engineering prowess. :Nailbiting:

I feel a Nuke deployment. I'll start. :Finger:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gotta be real mate

18. A little progress :eek: steering stem designed and made from T6511 (H30TF) Aluminium - need my drift opening up 0.5mm to get the bearing on. Hopefully everything is calculated well! This is to fit the Ohlins front end :)

IMG_2671.JPG IMG_2675.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jesus.Its like watching species evolving.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. I very nearly made more progress last night by drifting the bearing on - put the stem in the freezer, bearing in the oven at 50 degrees (due to the rubber seal not being removable. Hammer at the ready, bearing on - located about 1mm, drift in hand, drift wouldn't fit over the stem by 0.1mm :worried:
    Drift now at work being bored out another half mm so we might see even more progress tonight with a dry fit :eek:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information