1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kr1000 Replica Build...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Exige, May 15, 2013.

1. 9 what? :laughing:

2. Just wow, amazing effort god knows how you even start to do all that, well done

• Love You Love You x 1
  3. OMG - I have done something :eek:

Not a lot, but it's a start (again) o_O

So my last stumbling block many moons ago was what to do with the wider shock offset due to changing the build from an exact replica to a modern version with wider wheels. Changing the frame was tricky - but then one night looking at the Pani R behind my sofa :eyes: it suddenly hit me, I could simply strengthen the top shock brackets and fix the shock Pani style to the outside of the outer top mount bracket. Indeed this actually gave perfect alignment to the 999 Black Swingarm that I'm using with no real alterations to the frame.
    So, Nelly provided a new Pani front shock mount bolt and spacer so I could check what Ducati now use specification wise. It turned out to be a 10.9 grade M10 which surprised me - having heard of the failures a few years ago. Not sure if the spec changed to 10.9 due to H.I.C. of the original bolt, or if it has always been this spec. I was a little nervous of proceeding with the same size bolt but happy that a 10.9 bolt would be the best spec for the job. I did some googling on shear strength and decided a move to an M12 10.9 would be better (still wondering whether to go to M14 but it should be fine)

So: spacers made up at work and a trail fit this evening and at last a very small step in the right direction!

IMG_5476.JPG IMG_5485.JPG

#445 Exige, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Now I need to sort where to mount the remote twiddly bits so the look cool and are in full view once the bodywork is fitted.....

IMG_5480.JPG IMG_5478.JPG

5. And very soon I will be attacking a perfectly good 999 Black Swingarm with a drill, angle grinder, hack saw and file to set in the lower shock mount alloy block - alloy block is in the post heading this way...

IMG_5475.JPG

That's all for now - something else might happen over the next week or so (or maybe a year or two - but I have got my project mojo back at the moment) o_O

• Like Like x 2
  6. Semi retirement and bucket loads of rain is a huge motivation for inside shed projects:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sunny here.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Well I have ordered a 2" sq section of alloy 100mm long for the lower shock mount but for some reason I was impatient to do a bit more :eek: the alloy will be with me next week...

So I searched through my collection of 999 Black Swingarms to pick the worst example (scuffs and such) to attack!

The plan is to drop the insert in by 10mm so leaving 1mm spare I marked out a 98mm long slot, drilled both sides, @chizel ed the waste out and in half an hour it was done! Really thought this was going to be tricky but it was easy.

Filling next, then wait for the alloy to arrive :thinkingface:

IMG_5487.JPG IMG_5489.JPG IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5494.JPG IMG_5495.JPG IMG_5497.JPG

#450 Exige, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  9. You is clever, i feel proper thick

10. It's only like hammering and stuff :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. It’s like fighter pilots saying anyone can fly these just need bit of training...like yeah, I managed nappy training by early teens

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. How many holes did you drill before you got one in the right spot?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. 34 :thinkingface:

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Enjoying this:upyeah::bucktooth:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Are you doing your own welding.

16. Looks like my teeth

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Meh... Kids stuff...try riding a scrambler...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information