1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Exactly Touring - But If Staying In Ypres, Belgium...

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Exige, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Just a big shout out to Nathalie and Christiaan Huys at Devoerman Steak House in Ypres.

www.devoerman.com

4 of us went for a long weekend and we had booked an apartment at the Devoerman Steak House as it was cheaper than the hotels on offer. We were certainly glad we did... on arrival we were told to park the bikes in the beer garden where they would be safe and were instantly offered a beer on the house before we had booked in. Turns out Christiaan used to own a motorcycle shop in the town and stills runs a two stroke crosser and a Yamaha Raptor Quad on the road.

Needless to say we were well looked after and decided to eat there on the Sunday - the food was as good as the welcome and the portions were huge so well worth a stay if you are ever visiting this part of Belgium or the Dunkirk area of France for the war graves or other...

Here's some pictures, one of the front of the Steak House of the Lille Gate (only a leisurely 15 mins stroll to the center of town or 15 mins around the ramparts to the Menen Gate) the other pictures of the rear beer garden area.

Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Ypres after finding this fab place :) the staircase seen in the first picture was the entrance to the beer garden from our apartment :cool:

IMG_4779.JPG IMG_4780.JPG IMG_4781.JPG IMG_4777.JPG IMG_4776.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Wot, no Ducati? :eyes:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The last two I went on recently have broken down :thinkingface: so thought it wise to take a Yamaha :yum

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I don't know if you went to the last post at The Menin Gate, but you should.

You can also get hammered on Belgian beer :beer: in the small bar on the corner. :) I might have done that. o_O

#4 Robarano, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Disgraceful. :(

6. Yes but we have to get used to it with Ducati ownership :mad: and besides, the French wouldn't look kindly on spare headlight bulbs with no headlights and we were in Dunkirk the first day :thinkingface:

7. Hmmmmmm :thinkingface:

Here

8. Blatant plagiarism (and headlights) :rolleyes:

9. Oh, took this on the way out with a crappy camera phone - if I'd have had an SLR with me it would have been a money shot :thinkingface:

Humber Bridge with a central sunset :sun:

Pic.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. It looks like Islamic fundamentaloids have detonanted a thermonuclear device on the bridge. o_O Was there a big mushroom above it just after this? :worried:

#10 Robarano, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018

11. Just checked the next frame and yes there was :eek:

MR1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 20170727_142925.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. We were in The Corner Pub where Pete's Multi is parked outside (as some still know it - can't remember it's new name :thinkingface:)

The gate was heaving on Saturday, a few thousand there but we couldn't find out why so many, probably just so close to the millennium anniversary of the 11th Nov 100 years on :thinkingface: this was taken over half an hour before the last post on the Saturday and they kept streaming in filling the streets...

It was dark and lit up by 8pm and a full brass band playing a supporting role after the last post rang out, very humbling as were the cemetery's.

IMG_4790.JPG

15. It's always like that. :)

The bar I'm talking about is behind where you were standing when you took that picture. :upyeah: You can see it through the arch on Pete's picture with the parasol type thingies outside.

16. It's not :thinkingface: one of my mates has been several times and never seen it so packed :yum and yes, I thought his bike was at the other side :eyes:

17. Every time I've been there, it's been chock-a-block. :eyes: About 5 in total. :thinkingface:

18. Here's me and Belend outside said bar :thinkingface:

e46bc77c-bf3b-43b0-98ba-446f4b4865fb.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. Good to know. We are hoping to fit in a short trip over there next spring.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information