1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now I Have Heard Everything

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Android853sp, Mar 4, 2019.

1. As some of you will have picked up on from my recent posts, I have applied on line to draw my state pension. I got a text on Friday (genuinely from the DWP and not a scam) asking me to call their pensions help line. After hanging on the (freephone number) telephone for 15 minutes, a very nice women answered and we started to go through the security process to get into the system and see why I received a call in the first lace. 10 minutes later after repeatedly being chucked out of her computer, it turns out that the DWP don’t have enough information on me to validate the on-line process. It would seem that having never been married, only had 1 employer for the last 34 years and lived in the same house for the last 31 years doesn’t generate enough information for the computer to verify that I am who I say I am. All sorted now and I suppose there is a consolation in that I don't seem to have a footprint in the digital world, which I have to say, suits me fine. Andy

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Did you work for MI5 perhaps...……... :eyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Still does...
    Sssshhh

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bet they'd be able to find you on the system if you'd been one day late paying your tax!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Are you here legally?:eyes: :D

6. Something I have studiously tried to avoid since HMRC arbitrarily decided PAYE was no longer adequate and I was required to submit annual self assessment tax returns. 30 years on and now in retirement, I am still required to fill the damn things in. Andy

7. Weird how the payments differ from person to person. Brother in law got his letter advising of the pension rise in April. £3.25 a week. Mine came & gone up by £17.60 Someone said it is the amount of NI you paid. I had a business for a long time & although in the early days I paid very little tax. Later towards the end I was paying a lot of money to tax man & of course the NI. So maybe that's why.

8. Absolutely :upyeah: Andy

9. I’m guessing your brother in-law is older than you ? Oddly if you were in receipt of a state pension before the relatively recent changes to pensionable age, you get less than if you started to draw your state pension after those changes. Andy

10. He is 2 years older than me. Yes I retired when 62, had pension credits until I was 65 then over to state pension.

11. Funny story.

In the planning stages, it was referred to as "Simplified Assessment". All the training literature and official memos called it that.
    This label lasted quite a while, until the Revenue eventually had to accept that the new system was anything but "simple" ... and thus, the name "Self Assessment" was born. SA had its own cute animal motif - a bear, IIRC - but I can't remember what it was called. It was twenty-seven years ago, though.

Heh. Good times.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information