1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now They Are Tight!

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Mark9, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Was about to take my left hand foot peg hanger off my M900 to refurbish it, the bottom 2 fasteners are tight as hell!, I’ve tried a tommy bar and hammer , and impact driver but they are refusing to budge, I don’t want to use any more force as I’m concerned they might shear or damage the engine casing, guess they may have been in since 1996, has anyone else had this issue?, cheers Mark. C3CBD5DA-B713-45F3-BA58-39CB73719F53.jpeg

#1 Mark9, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  2. Mine were bastard tight on my 796 and only been in since 2012 . When I got them out one looked fine and the other was filthy and a bit rusty . Good luck!

3. Applying penetrating fluid overnight must help.:thinkingface:

4. it's nearly always the large diameter, rubber-sleeved portion that binds so only a small chance of shearing thread, but it's an anxious few seconds as nothing's guaranteed. As XH said, saturating in "squirt" nearly always helps if it is as above.

5. Thanks all, I’ve chickened out, hanger with be restored in situ with copious masking!.

6. Second thoughts I’ll nip into the garage now and apply penetrating oil, if no luck in the morning then it will be time to chicken out !

7. Try it with a hot engine?

8. Why not you've nothing to lose.:upyeah:

9. 43E708D9-08F7-4C8F-AF31-2D730CECEA4D.jpeg Well they remained stubbornly in place so I refurbished it in place, including reshaping the ally from square cut to round where I’d cut off the rear footrest, wasn’t too bad actually I just had to be really careful with the masking and not to damage anything, here’s a shot of the other side I took yesterday , they’re both the same.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soak it in Plus gas overnight
    then using an air or electric percussion wrench try to tighten it a little bit.
    Then reverse the wrench and spin it out.

Make sure the driver bit is very well seated before pressing the button
    and good luck

11. All good advice LCJ but ref the post above I managed to do the job with the bracket in place, if I had absolutely had to take it off I would have persevered , but because the job could actually be done in situ on balance it was best not to risk damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information