1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Number Plate Light

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Derek, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Well, now that the bikes are off the road for the winter. I thought I'd get round to doing something about the number plate lights. Both of them are similar with 3 surface mount LEDS on a small circuit board. Unfortunately they are glued together and very difficult to get into and I didn't do the clear plastic piece any good when separating it from the housing. I ended up replacing the original circuit with 3 high brightness white LEDs with a suitable resistor mounted onto a small piece of perspex and embedded it in clear epoxy that I also used to glue the clear cover back in place.
    Anyway if you ever need to replace the number plate light, it's a bugger of a job with most of the rear of bike having to be removed to get at the connector which is tucked under the ECU with about 2 feet of spare cable length. Seems they must have used the same loom and number plate light for all the Scrambler variants.
    Putting it back together was a very fiddly job where 3 hands would have been helpful. At least I got chance to get it all nice and clean under there.

IMG_20201202_122654.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. How are the Michelins @Derek ? I’m still a fan of the Pirelli OE MT’s but love the Road 5 on other bikes...

3. I only fitted the Road 5 at the beginning of the year and due to Covid I've only managed about 1000 miles but so far it has given me every confidence in all weathers. The original Pirelli MT wore out at a shockingly low 2,700 miles. The least miles I've had out of any tyre on any bike ever! They did grip very well but with that mileage and the very high pricing I was quite happy to try something else.
    The Pirellis were followed by Avon Storm 3D X-M which got good reviews but didn't live up to expectations in the wet. Rather alarmingly, I managed to spin up the rear a few times on wet roads although I did get 6,400 miles from the rear.
    I'd had Michelin Road 3s then Road 4s on the MTS so knew how well they performed and I'd managed to get 7,500 miles out of a Road 3 on the rear, so knew that they wear well too.
    Just before winter I put a new Road 5 on the rear of the Supersport as well and both bikes will be getting matching fronts sometime in the spring.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information