1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obtained Unobtanium.

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Fire3500, May 23, 2021.

1. And yes, I have another on the shelf…

9818F112-18D1-4B73-AE6A-3A9071A36687.jpeg 9D04DB72-7561-491D-A467-6828A91C94DA.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. @Chris !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you put this one by for Chris first please.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I found a nice man in Italy to re-manufacture them for me… :)

he only did a handful before realising he was never going to make his money back… So I bought two. Ridiculously expensive for what they are but I’ve been looking for three years and I wanted one. My next hobby is going to be something less expensive and upsetting, like a cocaine or heroin habit.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. That's fantastic & let's hope Chris agrees with us on that front.

5. Has he got any left???

6. Excuse my ignorance but what are we looking at here, the light lens or the black louvred surround?

Isn’t this the sort of think that people get 3D printed nowadays (saw Tim Shaw get a Cortina centre console printed last week on Car SOS)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes it's the light surround. Very unavailable, and yes you're right that it is the sort of thing that people get 3D printed but there isn't a CAD drawing for one that I've found and my skills don't extend that far. In the future I'm sure that someone will create one, and that'll be great.

As this is a cosmetic part you wouldn't want a rough 3D print, and it'd need finishing which might give a very different surface texture / finish to the original. This reproduction part is a great match for the original but is more flexible, whereas the original was very fragile and brittle.

I'm very happy with the result of this. :)

#7 Fire3500, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
  8. No but I have... :)

9. What is ridiculously expensive if you don't mind me asking?

10. Kind thought Pete, but have resigned myself to the fact that i just should have bought one when price was reasonable - if I had a "mint"*/low mileage bike that only lacked this then it would be worth coughing out the 3K for it. :upyeah: I nearly bought a new O.E.M. seat fairing (as above) for £400 last year (which was worth it to me) but i'm glad I didn't looking back.

*in it's original meaning.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I imagine you asking this, casually leaning on a pile of boxed originals... :p

It was more than a dinner date, which is nuts for a bit of plastic. Made me happy though. Just need the right fixings now.

12. 2 x cod and chips?:astonished:

13. Only if it was very fine cod, with lovely chips... at Clarridges.

(with fancy wine... and a pudding)

14. For the good of the community, it would be well worth trying to get the 3D cad file off the guy...that way anyone can make them.

Cheers
    Grant

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Originally i thought it was the seat unit for sale that's why i got so excited 4 you, sorry my mistake.:blush:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thank you for the thought. I have a new, aftermarket one in the loft. (you knew I would, didn't you? :)) - it needs painting though, and you know you need to re-morgage to do that properly these days, unless you've got a "mate" in paint - I used to, but they've all long retired now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yes but what about those furry friends sitting patiently for your donor kebab scraps, aren't you concerned with the chewing inbetween meals on the said item.

18. yes, I am.. I have some seats up there from the '60's and am prepared for the worst next time I examine (I do this once every 10 years if lucky).

19. If you want to sit up in your dark attic every ten years that's fine by me, but it sounds like a Louis Therouxi's weird weekends.;)

#19 XH558, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Not really, someone is going to borrow my surround to 3D print them. He has already produced bum pad bases as well as main seat bases to be covered by purchaser..

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information