1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Oem Huggers

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by richgilb, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Did they never come in plastic, please? All I see are after-market carbon ones. Where did that design originate from?

2. They were never "OEM" as such. Never fitted as standard. They were a Ducati Performance part, in carbon and that's been the way ever since from all and sundry who've supplied them.
    I do recall at some point seeing carbon look ABS and even a few in glass fibre, but again, aftermarket.

3. Yep, my original one is plastic, it sits on a shelf in the garage, carbon currently on the bike.
    Steve

4. So Nelly says they only came in carbon and Birdie says he has a plastic one.....Birdie, I cannot find a picture of one of these on t'internet anywhere. Do you know more about their history? My business partner had a 916 and 748 from new in the 90s and he said neither came with a hugger.

I am trying to find a decent source for a carbon mould. Most of the carbon ones available do not fit properly

5. My mistake sorry, I didn't read the post correctly, I jumped in thinking you meant the front mudguard.
    No rear hugger as standard that I am aware.
    Steve

6. Power bronze do a plastic one I recall, also I think skidmarks??

7. I have a well used DP one which fitted perfectly on my 748, if you are near Swindon, you can borrow it for a measuring/mould purposes but I will need it back.

8. My rear hugger tends to bounce a bit even though it's mounted properly. Does anyone else have that problem? It means that the tyre has rubbed a hole in it in that funny dimple. 20171203_155145.jpg

9. If you have a DP Hugger, or good quality copy of, you'll note a hole where the hugger meets the inner face of the swingarm. Drill and tap a hole in to the swingarm, secure the hugger to the swingarm and the problem is solved!

• Like Like x 1
  10. What profile tyre have you fitted ? IIRC, the oem was 180/55 so if you have a 190 I think the profile should be 50 otherwise the tyre is too close to the hugger. I've had the same problem on one of mine, ended up just chucking it. Andy

11. 180/55 Andy. It's a 748.

12. Same problem on mine (MY02 748S) with the DP hugger which was an issue with new Pirelli 180/55s for a few months until the tyre had worn down. Issue fixed with a correct ride height set up and changing the rear sprocket to 40 teeth with a 96 link chain (std is 94). I also don't use Pirellis any more but that is just coz I hate em. It did not wear through before the suspension was sorted but I have now removed it as the CF is now very dull, green and lost its lustre. Will try a rub down and respray of clearcoat sometime in the spring.

#12 Denzil the Ducati, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I've got a QB carbon hugger. Doesn't have the exhaust clearance 'dimple' and has never touched the exhaust, it does however tend to sag slightly on the unsupported RH side (I think most do) and as it wobbles a little when the bike is moving it does very lightly touch the right side of the tyre - never worn anything more than a shiny stripe near the edge of the tyre.

When I leave the bike parked in the workshop I stick a piece of plastic (meccano) in between hugger and tyre to help stop it 'setting' to the sagged position - especially when the exhaust is hot - actually QB carbon recommended this as they sag because of no support on the RH side...

• Like Like x 1
  14. You could dremmel a nice oval there, lacquer the edges and it would like like part of the design.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information