1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh, You Massive B@stard

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Nervy, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Hello you lot,

My bike is being a shit head. Can someone help me, please?

I rode out to a mates the other night and when I came back to the bike a few hours later it wouldn't start. When you turned the key it would power up and you could hear the fuel pump priming but it was just clicking, you know- like you get when the batteries dead, even tho it was showing 12.2. I popped it on charge over night but still wouldn't start so I went and got a new battery and fitted that.

That didn't work.

So, I took the fairings off and noticed that it is what I think of as the starter solenoid but what Ducati call the start contactor which is loudly clicking so after I tried tapping it as you would with any other relay type thing, I eventually track one down at a Ducati dealer who for the bargain price of 60 quid sends me a new 3 quid part.

Here's where it gets annoying. I just fitted it and the bike started. Hooray, right? No. No hooray. Because, paranoid creature that I am, I then turned the bike off and turned it back on again and we're back to the clicking. And the no starting.

What's happening please? I don't understand. Can anyone suggest to me what on earth is going on here please?

Hope you're all well by the way. What lovely weather etc we'be been having etc.

Ok enough of the pleasantries. Can some one fix my bike now please? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sounds likely it's a problem with the starter motor- worn brushes, dirty commutator. Needs removing for investigation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doesn't start.

Weird stuff man.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Before u start pulling too much apart, it still could be the battery, I've had battery showing 12v and then nothing when u hit the starter. Try another battery first before u go further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Oh John. You brilliant bastard you. I've just discovered that the connection to the starter motor looked connected but was actually not (the boot was covering it).

It's only bloody running. I never ever ever get this lucky with this sort of thing. I must be about to get flying AIDs or something. Must be.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you
    Thank you Thank you Thank you

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. So's your face. There, I've said it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thanks P- that's good to know for when it inevitably breaks again.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hold on, its stuffed I've got a grand spare to buy the bike! At a obvious headache to me/doing you a favour!!!!!1

• Like Like x 1
  9. A grand you say? Sold! You send the money, I'll send the bike.

10. Don't have time to read whole thread, have you checked the connection to the starter motor? they can come loose.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Yes. I have, now, and it had. Thank you.

12. Did read it really, I wouldn't have had a clue. [emoji106]

13. I knew it! I suppose it's too late for me to cancel that cheque, too? You little tinker. You get me every time with your fees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Even though it's running, get in touch with 'Exige' from this forum and get some of his high capacity cables that connect battery starter etc. It'll start much better.

You won't regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. But what if I like regretting things? Did you even think about that? Hmm?

• Like Like x 2
  16. The one thing I've found with the Desmo is that it starts with no problems. It has high compression, but with 4 small cylinders it spins over like a 125 scooter wired into your house mains.

The 1098R, with it's dust bin lid sized twin pistons is a different proposition and definitely benefited from a set of @Exige 's fine starter leads :) (and a lithium battery of course :Bag:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. I'd be impressed if @Exige has a custom kit for this bike off the shelf, they're not exactly commonplace.
    Worth asking though and if he doesn't, he may well be interested in working with you to produce a kit.
    Have to agree though, a high capacity stating cable kit will transform your starting.
    Best money I've spent on my 999...

18. It's (normally) a very good starter. As mentioned above, it spins over much more quickly and easily than a normal Ducati.

19. Sounded like you regretted it didn't start.
    I thought about that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Well, you've certainly got me there. Well played, Sam, well played.

Note to self: don't try and be funny, Nerv. People don't like it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information