1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins Fork Spring Help

Discussion in 'Suspension help' started by tboooe, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Hi folks, I just purchase some FGRT forks for my 848 Evo (pretty pumped!). Anyway, I would like to get your thoughts on which spring I should be using with these forks. I weigh about 145lbs without gear so lets say 155-160lbs with gear. I ride mainly in the canyons with some occasional track days. I am not demon on the brakes and ride well within my skill level on the street. The Ohlins rep recommends a 95 spring. Other biker friends I have recommend 85 or 90 spring. What do you all think? Any input would be appreciated!

2. Try this site, racetech
    https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/
    closest I found when I had ohlins on my 848 was 1098s. You can see what’s standard then add your weight, type of riding etc and it will give you an estimated best spring weight

3. setting for ohlins 1198s

Riding Type: Canyon
    Skill Level: Expert/A Class
    Stiffness Preference: Standard Stiffness
    Lowering: Not Lowered
    Rider Weight: 160

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
    Recommended Front Spring Rate: 0.97 kg/mm (Spring unavailable, please call)
    Stock Front Spring Rate: 1 kg/mm (stock)

Select the tech: Install it yourself
    Riding Type: Canyon
    Skill Level: Expert/A Class
    Stiffness Preference: Standard Stiffness
    Lowering: Not Lowered
    Rider Weight: 160
    Sag: 35 mm

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
    Recommended Spring Rate: 8.83 kg/mm (Use closest available)
    Stock Spring Rate: 8.15 kg/mm (stock)
    Adapter collars - Springs require all listed adapter collars/bushings

4. Thank you. So based on this the .95 spring is recommended, just like what the Ohlins rep said. Hmmm...what to do.

5. Depends on use. That quick search was based on fast canyon type riding. Also depends if you go linear or progressive springs. If you go light you may have to up the preload to get the sag you need.

Imho I’d rather have heavier spring and adjust with preload and oil level than too soft a spring

6. Agreed. When I change my riding level to intermediate the recommendation changes to .87 which is now closer to what my friends are saying. I think in reality I would classify more in this group, especially since I ride conservatively on the street. So now I need to decide between .85 and .90.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Got a chance to talk to Matt at Ohlins who was very generous with his time. In the end, we agreed that with my conservative riding style on the street and infrequent track days the 90 spring would suit me best. Matt said the riders who are more aggressive on the brakes and/or do more track days will want a stiffer spring like a 95 or even 10. Any way, the spring has been ordered and I will get my new FGRT forks next week! If they offer even a fraction of the improvement I got when switching to the TTX shock I will be very satisfied.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FGRT forks are fantastic. I have recently bought a set for m 1199 and they are superb road and track. I also matched it with a TTX GP shock. Superb quality and performance. They are streets ahead of the Marzocchi forks and shock my base model came with.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information