1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Oil And Stuff

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by RC1, Oct 14, 2021.

1. As i finally begin to put my track bike back together before it gets fettled by a pro, can anyone recommend oil, coolant and oil filter pls?

2. ive never been on a track so im as green as they come and can only dream about racing!

3. +1 for Motul 7100. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. K&N had some oil filters split , maybe at the welded nut & duc oem filters were a bit out of spec (for a while?) and needed to be ridiculously tight to stop oil leaks. Which made them a PITA to remove , issue was the centre section that screwed into the case was too tall for the rubber seal to seat. I swapped to Mahle filters when I got sick of leaky duc filters in the late noughties, OC5 is the partno if I recall correctly. Ducati have hopefully sorted their filter quality control since then but I’ve not bought a new oem one for a while .

5. That smells like dealer BS . I’ve been changing duc filters from late 90s using oem. The all sealed fine with the standard filter tightening methods , noting if you have to over tighten the you risk the filter collapsing when trying to remove . When I came to do a oil filter swap on my still new 999 , only touched by Ducati & dealer 1st service I couldn’t get the filter off with the duc filter tool as it just rounded off the filter corners, luckily I got it off with a big plumbers wrench and when fitting a new oem one it leaked like a sieve. Had to over tighten to stop the leak. Noticed it again on subsequent oem filter swaps on my Superlight , 888, & PS1000 so i swapped to Mahle and issue stopped. My current 916 had an oem filter when I acquired it and didn’t leak and removed ok with normal methods so as I said hopefully it’s sorted now. I still fitted an OC5 as that’s what I had in spares box, though I also have an old oem one from way back I’m reluctant to use .

6. so 7100 it is - in teh basket

re the filter, interesting as the one i removed was k&n and it was a pain even with the nut on. in fairness, the bike has been stood idle for at least 3 years. i expected a hiflo or ducati branded one but makes sense to have the nut for quicker changes although i will likely buy the removal tool so i can access a wider range of filters and ill use it for the other bikes

sump plug magnet reassuringly free of naughty stuff which was good given the bike bought sight unseen

• Like Like x 2
  7. Never ever had an issue with OEM filters.
    Always pre-fill and light smear of oil on rubber gasket and hand tight “plus a little bit”.
    Remove with one of those Halfords metal strap wrench tools with little spikes on the inside of the strap.

#7 RickyX, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. I always use the HiFlo HF153RC. Nut for easy removal and pre-drilled for safety wire.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Plus 1 :upyeah: for Hi-Flo, they’re 2/3rds the price of the OEM for the same thing - it all depends if you want to see DUCATI emblazoned across your oil filter or not.

• Like Like x 1
  10. i want to see pro pics of me looking like a track god with some snazzy lock wire in my nut

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information