1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Cooler Leak

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Ian-SA, Apr 29, 2020.

1. I had an annoying oil leak which was progressively getting worse to the point the back tire was getting dodgy. Washed off the bottom end of the motor and ran it for a few mins, then it was not too hard to trace the oil leak to the connection to the oil cooler see pic
    Will I have to drain the oil and remove and reset the pipe connection?
    I'm a goggle mec,,,maybe I should leave this to the professionals?
    PS
    There is a very s 20200424_124742.jpg 20200424_140809.jpg light drip also from the crank breather, had the valve replaced some months ago

2. it's worth cleaning the site where the leak is and then starting up and studying area hard to find the actual source of the leak.

If it's between the male/male adaptor union and the oil cooler then fairly easily solved by checking seal for flatness and possibly replacing.
    If it's between male/male adaptor union and flexible hose then it could just need checking to see if it's tight but there's a chance that the end of the flexible pipe is fractured and so attempting to tighten won't help and could even make it worse.
    If doing this yourself then best approach would be to strip and examine but bear in mind that if it is the latter then you are effectively off the road.

#2 Chris, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  3. Be very careful tightening it up, keep a firm grip on the fixed boss on the cooler, its easy to twist it and cause the cooler itself to crack.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information