1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Oil Coolers

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TelRobinson, May 24, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

Falling short of finding an oil cooler for the R, what have you done for an aftermarket option?

Cheers in advance

2. 749/999 might need to modify mounts. Hoses should be ok but not difficult to do

• Like Like x 1
  3. Have you tried earls performance parts they make and sell oil coolers.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Tel. I have a spare 999 one with hoses you can try for size but will need it for a future project.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. @cookster ill bear them in mind mate, used them for a few of my old track car bits. Do you know the fittings size on the oil coolers on the R’s?

@final_edition That’d be great to try it mate! Much more readily available to buy than the 748/9*6 series bikes, so would make sense. The only issue I’d have is running the oil feed for the cams I guess?

Then just need to find a fabricator to replicate the brackets on the 999 cooler from mine

6. Sorry mate I don't know the fitting sizes, what's wrong with your old oil cooler??

7. Why do you need another oil cooler? i understand your engine is rebuilt and running? is the original damaged? can it not be cleaned and repaired?
    thought you are selling the bike?
    anything will fit anything with time and effort ie 999 to 748 easy peasy with a different bracket and spacers i have run a 999 oil cooler on a 998 engine a 1198 engine..
    however std 999 oil pipes are both on the same side so you would need the pipes too..
    the fittings on a 748 999 1098 1198 (except the R) out from the engine i have found to be the same
    hoses are just hoses so can be as long as a piece of string.. and again the fittings on all the coolers are as above.

what about some of the other ducatis of the 748 era i bet any oil cooler around then would be very similar?

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I’ve got a spare 748RS cooler and lines you can try. I removed the alloy angles on the top and repositioned them to fit my 998 setup. In the end I used a 1098 oil cooler with 848 evo lines so I could fit an oil temp sensor inline.

C545C4D4-9AC7-4C7C-9C11-B9F49329FC9E.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. But the 848/1098 cooler is easier to fit.

840651D1-33E4-4D87-845B-6514E5787E0B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. It looks like it’s developed a pin hole and misting into the lower fairing. After 19 years it’s seen some battles, so only right to replace it.

@andyb As above mate and it’s still for sale, but I’m not overly upset if it sells or not as it’s a weekend toy.

Thanks for the heads up on fittings. I think the 848/1098/999 coolers look feasible and have the brackets/hoses fabricated. I just have to find a solution to the cam oil feed, but I doubt that will be difficult.

@bettes Thanks, for future proofing I’ll go with a modern readily available unit I think, like your 848/1098 one. How’s the fit with the fairing? Looks to be spot on!

#10 TelRobinson, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  11. Easy to do. Just needed to chop and re weld the fixings on the fixing bracket. Do it right and you can make the V panel fit.

12. That RS one in the photo has the cam feed line at the top. I used it for the temp sensor.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information