1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Oil Filter Came Loose

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DBD1199, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Had a strange one coming back from a trip to the Picos a couple of weeks ago....
    Pre trip bike went in for annual service at dealer.
    Did just over 2k miles on the trip and bike behaved impeccably.
    Got on the ferry at Bilbao to come home and noticed a generic warning light came on the dash just as i was boarding the ferry, bike seemed fine so didn't think it was a big deal.
    Next morning went to the bike to get off the ferry and noticed a small pool of oil under the bike which i hadn't noticed at all throught the trip. Cleaned up the undertray as best i could and rode the bike off the ferry to a point where i could stop in the port for further investigation..Found fresh oil leaking. Whipped off the undertray and found the oil filter had worked loose...cleaned up the mess and re tightened the filter. checked the oil level and it hadn't really dropped too much so it must've just happened.....Rode the bike home, stopping every so often to check it - around 500 miles and its been all good...No more warning light so not sure if it was connected or not....
    Strange one.....never happened to me before on any of my bikes.....kinda glad it was an easy fix but gents....check your filters!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'd have a quiet word with the service department, mentioning it came loose & luckily no issues as you caught it in time to save the engine.

3. Thats shit mate, I'd definitley be having a rant at whoever did that !! Oil on back tyre mid corner etc etc !! :(

4. Had the same happen on my DVT and it is not necessarily a dealer issue but can be down to bedding in the seal and screw on a new oil filter. I noticed some oil in the belly pan at a motorway stop on the way back from Cumbria in June and couldn't see where it was coming from, oil level was OK so left it alone. When I got back cleaned the bike and found the filter was just hand tight, another 1/4 turn and no more leaks.

5. Normally they totally over-tighten them. Probably to stop this happening.

6. Yeah i guess i was lucky i caught it in time before it came off completely and either seized the engine or threw me off with oil all over the back tyre..
    Not sure i can say it was the service guys fault or not as i did around 2K miles after service but i will mention it next time at the dealers...I guess it'll be one of my pre long trip checks now to give it a good turn to make sure its still tight!!!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information